G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Greg,

That's true about the manual stating to grease the gearbox but says nothing about oiling the motor bushings.

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
Yep that is true also, and strange that for something that needs gearbox lubrication so frequently (as opposed to many others that never need greasing), you would think the motor bushings would need it too.

From reading this thread, and seeing your video with the worn gearbox, I'm going to be very attentive to this loco.

By the way, do you have that link to the Youtube video?

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Sorry but I'm from the old school, if it rubs on anything it needs occasional lubrication of some kind. As good as the new materials are, they still should have a medium between surfaces.
Chuck, does Ray 4449 have any of those Pitman motors with bearings still in stock?? That was a great improvement to an excellent locomotive. thank you

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This one?

Just a note that this is a old topic and new motors from USA Trains were available about 2 years after the initial post.

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
So I saw the amps go up when the shaft rattled around in the bushing. I'd guess it was never lubed.

Was there an update to the motors? I see the video, but from the overwhelming number of positive posts, this looks like an exception.

Greg

21 - 25 of 25 Posts