G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried uploading a video clip (under 9 minutes long, 134 MB, WMV format) to YouTube yesterday; apparently they've changed their uploader
program somewhat. (My last upload to them was back in August or September, if I remember correctly). In the past, I've found it typically took me 1 ~ 2 hours to upload a 100 MB. video clip (I have broadband internet service, Comcast cable modem). I've made at least FOUR attempts
over the past 24 hours; each time, the uploader screen just "sits' there (with the little "uploading" icon twirling around), but the upload NEVER seems to finish!
I'm running Windows XP Pro (64-bit version), my default browser is Firefox 3.0.5. I also tried using IE 7, BUT YouTube doesn't want to recognize my user name or password on it!
(And I DID try a password reset - but I'm not getting an reset e-mail from them!!!
). Wonder if anyone else has run into similar problems with YouTube lately
I know I saw a video posted by another MLS member about a month or so ago using a DIFFERENT video hosting service (which also offered BETTER picture quality!
) - at this point, I'm ready to give them a try, except I didn't take note of the website's name.
If I can't get the YouTube issues "fixed" reasonably, I'm ready to give another site a try.

By the way - here's a couple of still "teaser" shots as a preview of what the video subject will be!

Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!
Tom

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Apparently they have change something. I have been uploading all along to you tube and what you mention about the spinning icon is correct. What they have done though is while the icon is spinning they are actually finishing your video so you do not have to wait to have it processed as in the past. At least tha has been my experience. Give them anothe try. I have treied others and have not had the sucess that I have had with them. Got my first notice of copyright infringement with one of my videos so the Hank Snow people blocked one of my better live steam videos. Had to put different music behind it.
Good luck with yioiur video.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I uploaded 6 videos 4 were 1min and 2 were 30secs. They do have a new system it allows you to upload videos i believe 10 at a time. You might go look at it again and see if there are any other options. I use windows xp home edition, and firefox too. My 4-6 videos seemed like it only took around 15 minutes or so. I did not see any spinning wheel on it this time so maybe you havent clicked on the proper link to download yours. Also the site i believe you are contemplating is vimmeo, May be Flicker but i think flicker is pics only. Try vimmeo. The Regal

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Also, by the way. While the little icon was still spinning , I went to my site and found that the video had been uploaded already. Check that out.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SUCCESS, FINALLY!!!
Here it is...

I DID find a version of the YouTube uploader which provided a "bar graph"
that actually SHOWED upload progress
- by the bar graph, it showed the upload as taking @ an hour, which is about the amount of time I would expect for a file that size. Interestingly, though, it STILL showed the "spinning wheel" icon & uploading as STILL PROGRESSING
even after the bar graph was showing "Full!"
Taking Gibs305's suggestion, I opened a second YouTube page as a another "tab" in Firefox - & the finished video was NOW ADDED TO MY LIST!
Rather than "canceling" the upload, I just closed that tab. Thanks for the help, guys!
I'll post the completed video in the "Public Forum" as well.
Tom

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Tom, that's way cool (or is it "cold?"). I was wondering where this was all taking place and knew it was back east, judging by the design of the homes in the back ground. I shoulda looked at you name and address I would have know exactly where you live. But I din't and was guessing until someone in the video said, "Fah-wahd." Then I knew it was in Mass where they pahk the cahs in Hah-vahd yahd. Just bustin your chops :)

Thanks for the download tips on another post.

·
Super Modulator
21,221 Posts
I uploaded my first video yesterday, 750 megabytes... it sat there forever, and I saw when the network upload ceased, by monitoring the network traffic, but the little gizmo just sat there and kept spinning, and no indication that it would ever complete. Shut it down, but it actually uploaded! Pretty weird.

Not a great video, but my first.

Regards, Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts