G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking some advice on improving my track plan to make it more interesting. To do this I need to give you some of my thoughts.

I want to keep it simple with little switching and easy to get at. So I have started with a small triangle design that is raised 16 inches off the ground using trestles and bridges. Below is a picture of my yard with the track laying on the ground to get a sense of shape and size. The ground is 1 inch pea stone that I do not wish to disturb too much. Therefore I want to raise all the track using trestles. I do plan on moving from this house in the next year or so and my next layout will incorporate trestle, bridges and ballast so I figure if I make most of it now it will be easier later.

The back of the yard slopes down 13 or so inches therefore the trestles will be made to take most or all of the slope out so the track will be off the ground a min of 16 inches. Below is a rough drawing showing the grade of the slope from a level line using string,steaks and a level.

I have 3 bridges made to put on each straight run. I am still making trestles but only half done. I have not got much experience designing layouts and would like to hear you honest thoughts good and bad.

More pictures can be seen on my web site.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I can only think of joking things to say at the moment. If you plan to move I would just enjoy it and use this time to collect more track and parts for next RR. I had two bridges built before I moved to this house, they were simple 3 and 4 ft brdige that could be made to fit on any RR or I could sale them.
Keep your vision for the future EMPIRE.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
In your case you have the perfect opportunity to experiment with various track laying idea's. Since you are planning on moving make notes on what works and what does not. Just experiment. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Well, tell us, what do you want to do with this?

By that I mean do you want to just let it run round and round like those guys with the finger burning locomotives or do you want to do some operations like switching or are you just looking to make it more visually appealing or a more varied track plan?

If you want to just to the roundy-round then, build it up and have fun with it till you move. If you want to do some Ops or varied plan then it will take a little more planning and preperation and a bit more on the construction end.

I would at the least add a passing siding along the ground level area, this gives at least the opportunity to run two trains in turn instead of just one.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Navytech,

Given that you plan to move, how or what type of track bed / laydown will you be using be it on the ground or elevated. I'm thinking 2 things here:

You have a winter and a defined frostline. How are you planning to tackle this?

You are moving and are you planning a temporary type construction project re track laydown?

I have a parallel moving situation over the next few years and don't want to spend gobs of money on the track bed and construction of same. With me being in Alberta, I'd love to hear about how you would tackle frost heave.

Regards,

Gavin (aka GG)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Prune up the tree a bit before you get started. That way you wont bonk your head on a low branch and it will let more light in.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me try to answer some questions here.

For now I want to just let it run around so that the kids can go back and forth and start and stop it with no troubles.

Where I am raising all the track using trestles 16 inches up the track will not be touching the ground. This means I will not have buildings yet.

Our winters are brutal some times that is why I will have the trestle sitting on 6" deep pea stone allowing me to shift the height of each trestle to accommodate the ground movement. The summer months are just as nice as southern Ont and the ground does not move too much. This means that every year I will have to adjust the trestles.( will also be brought indoors in the winter)

I am sure my next layout will not look anything like this one so I am looking for ways to blend the layout into this area without major excavation. I also want to allow the kids to maneuver around the track with ease. After all if the kids can not have fun with it then its no fun.

I also just purchased a Bachmann 4-6-0 Loco

with ATSF tender. The unit has had very little running ,With operating head light smoke and speed synchronized sound.There are NO chips or cracks got it for $70

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I would avoid the use of what you call pea stone. It does not inter lock and can roll around a lot causing your bridges to move more than they should. Use a smaller type rock that has edges and it will lock together avoiding movement to track work and bridges. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will need to float the track as well.

Good price on the Bachmann.

gg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts