G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find any LGB 17050 Sound Trigger Magnets available anywhere.
If I place just any old magnet between the rails, will that work just as well?

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
A good method is to place a short flathead screw in the tie, then glue a magnet to the top of the screw.

The glue keeps the magnet from finding a new home.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
The Midwest Large Scale Rails group uses "stickytack" to stick round magnets to the ties wherever they want.

·
Registered
688 Posts
A set (thats two) of LGB magnets just sold on ebay for $30. Take the advice of the fellas here. There are cheaper and better ways.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Call Roy's Trains in Clovis, he has a bunch but I don't know the price. 559-325-0102

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Not only can you get at Radio Shack but also at lowes for a much cheaper price. I'd forget about LGB. Later RJD

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
How about a picture of what these magnets look like or give some dimensions.

What is the dimension between top of rail and top of the magnet?

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
The case for the LGB magnet sits slightly above the rail, but the magnet inside would be just below the rail.

I would use a stronger magnet and place it on a tie, and the top of anything between the rails should be slightly below the rail head (1/64).

When cleaning track with an Aristo plow, or with a wide track cleaning device, the LGB magnets get hit and sometimes come loose and cause a major derailment. Also, the Aristo rerailer is above the rail head and causes problems.

I use the very strong magnets from scrapped computer hard drives.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I have glued the stanard 1/2 inch round magnet from radio shack to the top of the tie and had them work just fine .....

you are right on the lgb clip in sitting to tall .... the big problem is the lgb logo they added to the top

1 - 13 of 13 Posts