G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to have you guys opinion's on video taping our hobby. How many of you like to watch a video that is taken from the camera mounted on the actual train itself? How many would prefer to see what is running in the video instead of just scenery, as the train goes around the layout????? To me I personally like to watch what is running, loco's rolling stock etc, than just riding around the layout! On the latter aspect you see the layout anyway, and you actually see what they are running which to me is better????????????? How about you guys??????/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
If all you see from the train is the house, car, garage, storage shed, and picnic table, then the video is usually of interest only to the owner/operator for one viewing only.

If there is great scenery, then an Engineer's viewpoint is good, for a while, but the best videos of that type are interspersed with scenes from outside that repeat the route. Something like: see the train going over a bridge and then show the same thing from the Engineer's window, then from the Engineer's window continue into a yard with a couple of parked trains and then switch back to the outside view to see the train leave the bridge and go through the yard. I have seen a few videos done like that and it was very interesting because it helped to understand the route and the purpose of the structures seen from the locomotive. It does require the author to work at editing the video and maybe do some planning ahead.

I also like "pacing" shots from an adjacent track, or from a "road" a few feet away with buildings and other structures and scenery interupting the view a few times. Pace from slightly behind and then even with the engine and then from slightly ahead and then back to even again. Varying the viewpoint in smooth transitions or abruptly is okay, as long as it appears to be one contiguous run. If the engine is a side rod steamer, then focus should be mostly on the valve gear and drive wheels. Pacing shots of Diesels can be good to, but there is less interest without the action of valve gear.

And one more think... NO MUSIC!!!!... the train makes better "music" than any GEE-TAR plunking or vocalist moaning or bellowing off-key. Each of us has our favourite musical style and I can guarantee that whatever you pick SOMEONE will hate it and think it ruins your video.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
There's a beautiful wmv file one of the guys made (I wish I could remember his name). Set to "Long Train A-Runnin" on his completely unsenic backyard railroad. Very artful.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Posted By Torby on 09/02/2008 6:08 AM
There's a beautiful wmv file one of the guys made (I wish I could remember his name). Set to "Long Train A-Runnin" on his completely unsenic backyard railroad. Very artful.

That's one of Ray's..
He has a boat load of videos, all very well done.

His website is here..
http://www.rayman4449.dynip.com/

Check them all out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts