G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I’ve spent a few hours going through old MLS postings about the Ruby burner, but I still haven’t found quite what I am looking for.

I have what appears to be a first generation Ruby, however the burner seems to be aftermarket, as it seems to have wire mesh in place of the milled slots. I say “...seems to have...” as I cannot take the burner out of the flue, I’m guessing it’s adhered to the boiler somehow, and there isn’t a bolt in the burner flange to hold to the boiler. In fact, there isn’t even a hole where a bolt would go.

The issue I’m having is the flame absolutely will not stay on the burner no matter how low the gas is turned down. I’ve tried messing with the air/fuel ratio using a sleeve and moving the jet holder in and out within the burner.

It has what I can only imagine is a #5 jet in it. I did try a #3 jet this morning and the flame didn’t leave the burner no matter how I tried, but unfortunately as soon as I closed the smokebox door the flame went out.

Thank you for any help, I’ll keep digging through older posts to see what I can find.

I’m sure this exact question has already been answered a thousand times, I just can’t seem to find the answer...

Sean.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
I’m sure this exact question has already been answered a thousand times, I just can’t seem to find the answer...
The smokebox door issue is all about vertical airflow through the smokebox. Many early Ruby types had no hole in the bottom of the smokebox, which is crucial. My FWRR/Ruby does not have a big enough hole and the burner goes out when you close the smokebox door. I don't know the exact scientific problem, but a large hole in the lower floor is essential. It also helps drain the oil!
I believe one of the gurus suggested making a larger hole with a drill or mill. Not me.

As you probably discovered there was a lot of discussion about stainless mesh over the slots in the Ruby burner to improve the flame. A radiant burner would be facing downwards, whereas the regular one would face upwards. Are you sure you don't have the regular slotted burner under the mesh? Either way, it looks as if someone mashed the mesh burner into the flue on your loco, and I would suggest taking it out. However, if you can't keep the burner lit without opening the smokebox door, messing with the burner won't help?

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you have a wire mesh around your burner I would say the mesh is the problem if the burner won't budge out of the rear of the boiler it will have been originally pushed in but then expanded to hold the burner. Maybe try to remove the mesh and it holding wire from the smoke box end or at least get it loose to wiggle the burner out. I have found mesh can alter the burn and is probably the cause of it going out anyway especially if the mesh has aged and started to burn up or collapse into the burner slots. I agree with Pete that air into the smokebox on a gas fired loco is usually required so that's worth looking at but get the mesh off the burner first. Good luck in getting the burner out.
Russell

1 - 3 of 3 Posts