G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i can contract to stan cederleaf make me decal yet. 
My question is on Classic UP i try figure out what is "X" mean on front of the UP locomotive numberboard. I saw many old photo classic UP locomotive on the Big Boy, Challenger, FEF type steam, any kinda on older diesel and Turbine locomotive. Doe is X numberboard mean for passenger or Fright train?? Do i need X number on classic number board on my UP turbine  locomotive?

Anyone have seen real UP turbine face backward  like Diesel locomotive take lead MU connection turbine face backward pulling long train? I wonder know if 2 turbine with single fuel tender like one turbine face forward, tender and another turbine face backward? UP do that or not? I know Every  UP turbine locomotive didnt have MU hose at front the train. only on the back the turbine and tender. I wonder when i buy Aristo-Craft UP Dash9  if i tkae dash-9 diesel behind turbine locomotive or front the Turbine locomotive. Or Marty his Big blow gas-turbine take lead i can face backward my GTEL 4500 gasturbine  together pulling his long coal train?

Bryan

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Common practice for the Union Pacific was to display the train number in the lead unit's number board.  The X meant the train was an 'Extra'.  ie...the train was not listed on the normal timetable.  This practice was used during the steam and transition era, but changed later in time and modern practice is to label the train with a code designating departure point, destination point, and train code, and the number boards simply display the locomtive's number for nightime identification.  Since you are modeling one of the early turbine models, you could easily display the X and just the unit's number and be correct.

Can't wait to see it all finished, it looks great so far!

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
RE: " X" numberboard on UP & diesel lead the turbine.

Just an addenda to clarify....

Scheduled trains used numbers such as 1, 2, 101, etc., and were strictly train numbers with no "X".
Extra (not scheduled) trains generally just used the road engine number with an "X" in front.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thank you to tell me for help :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Bryan,

Just watched a two hour turbine movie and everything ran facing forwards. Some with a tender some without.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts

Hi Bryan

The turbines needed lots of clean air, so they were always in the lead facing forward. Single turbines with or without the fuel tender were sometimes hooked up with trailing diesels or steam engines (such as Challengers or Big Boys). The steam engines would spoil the air supply for the Turbine if they were put in front. For about 6 months Turbines 59 and 60 were used back to back with a shared tender between them, but this experiment was not considered a success and was not repeated.

Terl

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for Information Terl/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/satisfied.gif

Bryan

·
Premium Member
237 Posts

Just found a picture p114 Thos R. Lee of Turbines 14 and 30 and a couple of diesels ready to leave Cheyenne on June 21, 1968. Running two turbines together was a rare event though. But hey, on my railroad I would put a Big Boy in front so that I could hear it's whistle at the crossings!

Terl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts