G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I KNOW that most of you interested in the upcoming and long-awaited Accucraft 'Royal Hudson' are buying these smooth-sided cars in ten, fourteen and sixteen car sets, but hey, one at a time is how I'm doing it,OK?

Alan must be working like a one-armed paperhanger to get them all done for you guys, but he took time out to make just one for me, and for that I'm really grateful.

It arrived while we were in Oregon, and even so, it had to wait until we visited the base to collect it, but boy was it worth it. A beautiful CPR maroon with very dark grey satin finish roof, compensated trucks, a complete set of internal chairs with white headrest antimacassars, and finely-done lettering and data where applicable. Runs like a dream too...

Thanks, Alan, for a great product at a reasonable price. Living nearer would ease the shipping charges, but hey, I'm not complaining too much.

No piccies, I'm afraid, unless one of my contacts here on the forum has the time and inclination to help me out.

tac

·
Registered
620 Posts
Google can't translate "antimacassars"?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Terry,

Phyl and I thank you for your kind words. I have taken the liberty of attaching the pictures you sent to us of our car on your track.

You are not alone because you are having to wait for the Royal Hudson to arrive. There are now many of our CPR cars on both sides of the Atlantic waiting for the motive power to arrive. Phyl is keen to get her Royal Hudson which is one serial number away from yours. Phyl is the other half of the team and it is her that should take credit for the insides of the cars and the decal work.

Will not be long now. I had a call to say one was in steam not too far from us this morning!!!

Best regards

Alan and Phyl

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Bruce,
My google can with 23000+ responses. Wikapedia says, "

An antimacassar is a small cloth placed over the backs or arms of chairs, or the head or cushions of a sofa, to prevent soiling of the permanent fabric.

The name is attributable to macassar oil, an unguent for the hair commonly used in the early 19th century â€" the poet Byron called it, "thine incomparable oil, Macassar."

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted By Shay Gear Head on 10/09/2008 12:50 PM
Google can't translate "antimacassars"?

I cannot fathom why you should need the help of a google translator to tell you the meaning of a thoroughly English word.

Macassar is/was a gentlemens' patented hair preparation used in the 1800's, a sort of forerunner to Brilliantine or somesuch. In order to preserve the appearance of headrests and the upper parts of seating in both public and domestic environments, a thin, often lace-edged or otherwise decorated, cloth was placed over the item - thus an ANTI-macassar. As has been noted, an antimacassar could also be made of thin chamois or other animal skin for decorative purposes. Mr 1/2d's instance of the use of animal skins with heads and paws attached is not unusual in the rather less sophisticated environs of the northern part of the big island.

Hopes this helps.

tac

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Terry -1/ US-0 we all are envious of this sign of wealth no longer available to colonies...all kidding aside great to see Alan's fine craftmanship going to one who will treasure it. Enjoy the masterpiece and the forth coming engine, Terry.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Make that Terry-1, US-1. I knew what it was without looking it up. We even have a few on our sofa! :) And my mother in the midwest has them on her chairs. [Does that make it US-2 ?].

BTW, I think that I picked the word "antimacassar" up years ago when I was reading the complete Sherlock Holmes stories for the first time.

And a beautiful car, Alan!

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Posted By Charles on 10/09/2008 7:12 PM Terry -1/ US-0 we all are envious of this sign of wealth no longer available to colonies...

Charles - One car at a time is what I can afford, and that's it. Filling up my SUV [we live in a part of UK with likely floods] at $150 a time is more important to me than any toy train, as is a $600 grocery shop every month for two people. Sure, I'd love to plonk down $7000 for a good-sized set of Alan's beautiful cars, but the words 'in debt' are not in my vocabulary. I have been saving for the loco literally since the day it was even hinted at by Jerry all that time ago, and it has had priority over every other element of my Gauge 1 'needs' since then, except for this one passenger car.

Alan has had a lot of business from your side of the pond, for ten, twelve, fourteen car consists to go behind this long-awaited loco, and as such I have no doubt at all that the first images we see of it hauling a full-length train will come from your side of the pond, not mine.

tac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts