G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone might be able to share some experience with me. Last year I bought a TCS WOWSteam 501 and installed it in a Piko engine. I also bought a Digitrax DCS210+ command station/booster. This is my first entre into DCC and I only have the one engine right now. I was running things fine for several months but then decided I wanted to change the address of the decoder to a long address and found that it wasn't taking. I would try changing the address using the Digitrax quick programming on the programming track and it would flash the programming light much longer than I would have expected and then the decoder wouldn't respond to the new address. Right now the decoder doesn't respond to any address that I've tried programming so I think I corrupted the address. But since I can't seem to program it, I can't change it. Reading CVs also would fail.
I've talked with tech support at both places and nothing obvious has come out. So I was wondering if anyone has used this combination and had success or failure? The best option right now is a programming booster but Digitrax said they don't know of any systems the DCS210+ can't program so I'm reluctant to buy a booster without a better idea that it will solve the problem.
Thanks for any help,
Bryan

·
Super Modulator
21,340 Posts
Those decoders are nothing but trouble, many issues programming them. I got one of the early ones and it was a mess. Supposedly they have made them better. I also found bugs in their custom speed tables. I threw all my Z scale TCS decoders away, they have the same bug.

I would sell it to some fool person and get something else.

Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Greg. An interesting perspective I will have to think about. I had been leaning toward it being an issue with the Digitrax but that was probably influenced by the trouble I had with the electrical connections at first. They all seem very sensitive to being bumped.

And Jim, I have tried all three programming modes. Not noticeable change.

·
Super Modulator
21,340 Posts
If there was an issue with Digitrax it would be common knowledge, they are one of the more popular systems. It's not Digitrax, it's the newcomer to G scale with known bugs, and the goofy voice menu in lieu of solid DCC compatibility.

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts