G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody notice anything "funny" about the model vs. the prototype?

THEY MIS-SPELLED CANADIAN! did anyone else notice this??? do they know about it??? ...does anyone care...?? dont wanna look like a rivit counter here, but thats kinda a big thing!

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, now im really confused....

? anyone know why some are spelled canadien and some are spelled canadian???

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Canadien = Canadian in French.. Many Canadian rolling stock have French on one side, and english on the other. I believe there is a law in Quebec that public signage must be in both French and English.. Perhaps those North of the border could clarify that for us.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I am not from Canada, but I have been there. Have you ever heard of a French Canadian? There accent is awsome, especialy if it is a woman speaking it. I spent 2 weeks up there in 1983, went to a pub and the waitress, ( a cute blonde) was French canadian and her accent while speaking English was VERY impressive!!! And for the obvious reason, aren't most things printed in English AND spanish down here nowadays?

Cliff

·
Registered
101 Posts
CANADA IS A BILINGUAL COUNTRY ,IT MAKES SENSE THAT USA FOLLOWS THE PROTOTYPES RUNNING IN CANADA, ONE SIDE IS USUALY ENGLISH , THE OTHE SDE FRENCH ,ITS LAW HERE TO HAVE ALL PRODUCTS IN ENGLISH AND FRENCH EVEN THOUGH iN BC youre likely to hear ethnic languages more then french .Adults from my generation & kids raised today speak more or raised to awarness the french & english langaues more then our parents as french is tuaght from preschool up. Im surprised theres no Http//www.cn.ca on the model as i have seen this on the CN box cars too .

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah, makes sense now. i never even thaught of that. i know that most cn equipment has french on it, but i never thatught that canadian national would be in french also /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
101 Posts
Posted By CJGRR on 04/17/2008 12:28 AM
ah, makes sense now. i never even thaught of that. i know that most cn equipment has french on it, but i never thatught that canadian national would be in french also /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif" border=0>

CJGRR /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gifyou ment that you knew canadian national equipment was in english but not in french also right/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Oh that?

I thought you were complaining about teh wrong door or the incorrect ladders and grab irons or the wrong end panel? Simply a difference in spelling? No biggie.

Chas

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Well, I'll be! You know, they say, "There's a prototype for everything."

I'd love to find one of those "Soutmern Pacific" reefers Aristo made some years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By stumpycc on 04/16/2008 10:36 PM
I am not from Canada, but I have been there. Have you ever heard of a French Canadian? There accent is awsome, especialy if it is a woman speaking it. I spent 2 weeks up there in 1983, went to a pub and the waitress, ( a cute blonde) was French canadian and her accent while speaking English was VERY impressive!!! And for the obvious reason, aren't most things printed in English AND spanish down here nowadays?
Cliff

The difference is that in Canada the bi-lingual LAWS apply. There is no such law in the US of A.

Yet.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
The good news is that a trip to Canada will revive all your school french vocabulary. As all the signs are in both languages, you get an instant lesson in french-english words.

And I agree with Cliff about the accent, but it isn't any better than a frenchwoman speaking english. (Francois Hardy made an LP in english, titled "En Anglais" - Duh! My wife loves it - thinks it is very romantic.) French always was the language of love...
Was this topic about trains???

·
Registered
222 Posts
In the case of CN, this company, like many Canadian companies, has both a French name, and an English one.

If you're interested...

All public signs in Quebec must be French only. This is a strictly enforced law.

In basically the rest of the country you can do what you want which means signs are usually in English only.

If you come to Toronto, for example, all the signs will be in English, except for some roadsigns on major highways, which have English and French.

These days, all Canadian school kids get an introduction to French, though depending on the region instruction may not start until grade four or five and only last a few years.

I am Canadian and a big fan of the Montreal Canadiens.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
The official bilingualism in Canada is federal and is based on history. Great Britain promised the French population of Canada the rights to their language and religion in return for their loyalty after 1763. The French kept their part of the bargain ever since, especially during the American Revolution and the War of 1812 when the country would likely have fallen without them. The return part of the bargain is the federal bilingualism laws requiring both languages in areas of federal jurisdiction while allowing individual provinces their own choice of official language in areas of provincial jurisdiction. Nunavut is a special case as the official languages of the Territory are Initituk as well as English and French. New Brunswick is the only fully bilingual province while Ontario and Manitoba offer French services in some bilingual districts and Quebec offers English services in some bilingual districts.

Canadian National, initially a wholly owned federal government agency and later as a Crown Corporation was required to operate bilibgually. Now, as a privately owned company it has some flexibility but its corporate charter still contains its name officially in both languages.

Personally, I am an anglophone from western Canada, mais il me faut apprendre le joual comme fonctionnaire ... in my career as a federal public servant, it was imperative to be able to speak and understand both official languages. I have never regretted the effort it took to gain a working knowledge of French - I cannot imagine a more bilingual city than Ottawa.

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
This one was floating around for awhile:

//rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=641486
//www.trainorders.com/discussion/attachments/thumbs/181000/IMAGE_00009.jpg

and its real, not a photoshop job!
it has since been corrected.

Scot

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
The Canadien came about in the 1960s as mandated above.

The yellow door is for dedicated newsprint (paper) service. Used to be a letter in a yellow circle in the older days. Easier to spot cars with this method. These cars were common in the US in this service, they could even be found down here in train lists.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By CJGRR on 04/16/2008 10:05 PM
anybody notice anything "funny" about the model vs. the prototype?

How obvious!

Theres no graffiti on the model, SHAME on you Accucraft! Prototypical indeed! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

1 - 20 of 32 Posts