G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, yes, yes. I was unable to read the "preview" edition, but that could be attributed to technology inadequacy on my part.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
No. Yes. Yes.

Sounds good and I can distribute the newsletter around our informal group GRITH here in NSW Australia.
I assume that you saw that you can now download it for free from the SDGRS website.

Tell Tony Walsham to support the effort and take out an ad. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I downloaded the issue 1 sample and took a quick look through it.

Very nicely done and more elaborate than I expected.

There were two categories in GR that I always looked at in detail and that perhaps should be considered for the newsletter:
1. A New Products category
2. A Product Review category

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
Good suggestions, but open to problems.

In the effort to keep it's advertisers happy, the GR product reviews, in my opinion, went from objective to just "glowing" and overlooked common and prevalent issues with the product.

This is one of the major reasons I stopped my GR subscription. I remember the MR product reviews, which I started reading in 1963, where the review was honest, comprehensive and accurate with detailed information on current draw, pulling power, adherence to scale and gauge.

In my opinion, that went out the window in GR. I understand the motiviation not to anger your advertisers, the big ones like Aristo and Bachmann, but I cannot agree to kowtow to the demands that reviews have nothing negative in them. The mag became worthless to me.

So new products, great, product reviews, dangerous territory, since this newsletter will also want paying advertisers.

This is not negative, just realistic.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Can't argue with your points re product reviews and advertisers possibly getting their nose out of joint.

But does the newsletter really depend on advertising revenue?
I didn't think this was intended to be a commercial product like GR.

I assume people who write articles, put the whole thing together and distribute it are volunteers who are in the hobby.
If someone wants to advertise their product - fine, charge them a nominal amount, but I don't think the newsletter should depend on advertising revenue.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I downloaded the issue 1 sample and took a quick look through it.

Very nicely done and more elaborate than I expected.

There were two categories in GR that I always looked at in detail and that perhaps should be considered for the newsletter:
1. A New Products category
2. A Product Review category
The Newsletter is to be put together from the various Club Newsletters. There is nobody "on staff" to conduct product reviews.

If a new product is put out by a vendor and included in their ad, great! And if someone in one of the contributing Clubs does a product review worthy of publication, that could also happen.

At some time in the future there may be provisions for articles outside of Club newsletters to be added to the content, but not at this time.

Baby steps.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
But does the newsletter really depend on advertising revenue?
I didn't think this was intended to be a commercial product like GR.

I assume people who write articles, put the whole thing together and distribute it are volunteers who are in the hobby.

If someone wants to advertise their product - fine, charge them a nominal amount, but I don't think the newsletter should depend on advertising revenue.
Yes, it will depend on advertising revenue to operate. The Task Force has determined that Carla will get a small salary, and of course there are operating expenses, such as a planned website.

At this point, everything has been a volunteer effort, but nobody expects Carla to go through what could be over 100 newsletters every other month for eternity on her own time.

As it grows, there could be a few other positions of modest salary (e.g., webmaster, secretary, associate editor), especially if/when "outside articles" are being published that would need someone to go through, select, format, and edit before they can see publication. But not now.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I'm going to try to help out here and hope I don't get shot down. There is a discussion group at [email protected] that is open to anyone to join. It is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is a place for casual garden railroading (or pretty much anything railroad related) comments, discussions, and questions. I have already placed the sample introductory e-Newsletter in the files section. As new information is sent out, I will try to post it on the discussion group. All subscribers will be notified when new files are uploaded. You do not have to be a member of any club to subscribe. Although PNW is in the name, anyone from anywhere is welcome. (PNW stands for Pacific North West.) To join, just send an email to [email protected]. There is no cost or obligation, no salesman will call. As an aside, if you have a club newsletter you would like to share, we would be happy to have it on this page. This should be a lot easier and more reliable than the hit-or-miss of catching something on Facebook.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'm going to try to help out here and hope I don't get shot down. There is a discussion group at [email protected] that is open to anyone to join. It is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is a place for casual garden railroading (or pretty much anything railroad related) comments, discussions, and questions. I have already placed the sample introductory e-Newsletter in the files section. As new information is sent out, I will try to post it on the discussion group. All subscribers will be notified when new files are uploaded. You do not have to be a member of any club to subscribe. Although PNW is in the name, anyone from anywhere is welcome. (PNW stands for Pacific North West.) To join, just send an email to [email protected]. There is no cost or obligation, no salesman will call. As an aside, if you have a club newsletter you would like to share, we would be happy to have it on this page. This should be a lot easier and more reliable than the hit-or-miss of catching something on Facebook.
Thank you. I will pass this on.

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
I think the management of the new newsletter would want to have ownership of the group if it was to be the official vehicle/distribution.

Adding more places to distribute, which is how I took this suggestion, seems to be welcome.

Greg

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
owner

I do not belong to a large scale group, as there are none in my area. I would love to get a newsletter,

allen

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I do not belong to a large scale group, as there are none in my area. I would love to get a newsletter,

allen
Hi Allen.

Thanks for your interest. If you just go back a few posts there is now a link to download it through the SDGRS website for free. There are no memberships required.

Take care.

Todd

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Todd, A suggestion, I'm not a member of anything either but if you can remind us all on this forum when the newsletter is out each time and a club link to view it that would be good. That's a good way to get many eyes on it from overseas and without multiple emails and lists at your end. it should work well. My memory isn't as good as it used to be so a reminder every time it's out is helpful.
Russell

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
Bump for the new people that did not read through the entire thread. Also, you do not need to join anything.
Current decision seems to be unrestricted access to the newsletters.

We have a link to it on our club site: www.sdgrs.com (click on the bold letters) At the beginning of the page is a note and a link. This is to the "sample" newsletter vol 1, number 1

Greg

41 - 59 of 59 Posts