G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
By the way, I post my email address on all forums, and I have NEVER gotten spam from it... from my bank, home mortgage, credit cards, grocery store, etc. but never from the train forums. I also use my real name... been doing this for years.

Greg

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Garden Railroad eNewsletter

Todd, thanks. I would love to see the newsletter, and if OK, forward it to others till they can subscribe.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

Will Lindley

[email protected]

Michigan Small Scale Live Steamers

·
Registered
1 Posts
No. Yes. Yes.

Sounds good and I can distribute the newsletter around our informal group GRITH here in NSW Australia.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
It is a great idea and a great newsletter by the sample I received. I'm just concerned by the delivery method. You have to belong to a "member club". They say they will only send to "member clubs" and leave it up to that club to distribute to their members some some kind of daisy-chain fashion. There are so many services out there that can manage customer email lists that are self-service. They allow people to subscribe and unsubscribe at will. Very little administrative overhead, user tracking, you can get stats on who opens, what ads are clicked on, etc. Great easy to use tools. You get a club secretary goes on vacation, nobody gets a newsletter. What about people who don't belong to a club? They won't receive it. Supposedly they can go find it on Facebook, but Facebook is actually a pretty lousy medium for content distribution. I'd love to see this fly. It's a great concept, but delivery really needs work.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
We made our case that if this is limited to just Clubs, a large portion of the hobby will be omitted. This was in fact confirmed by Marc Horovitz, as well as four G-scale Facebook sites.

It was agreed that this would be made available to all and we are in the process of working out a method of delivery, probably through Facebook at least for now. There are those requesting email delivery, and this may happen at some point in the future. It should be available to all very soon and I will keep everyone posted.

Unfortunately, at this time articles will be taken from the various Club newsletters, primarily because they are "ready to go." At some time in the future, there may also be the mechanism for individuals to submit "camera ready" articles. I know that there is a lot of talent here and would hate to see it go to waste.

You are all to be thanked!

Todd

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I am the newsletter editor for the Gold Coast Garden Railway Society, GCGRS, Ventura/Santa Barbara.
I have distributed the initial/sample newsletter to our club members and the response has been very positive.
I think that Groups.io would be a much better way to distribute the newsletter rather than Facebook.
John Lyans

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I don't quite understand why email delivery of the newsletter is a problem - that was one of my jobs at the club before I moved and let my membership lapse.

The distribution was only to about 300 members - biggest issue was emails bouncing because members changed their email address and didn't notify the club.
But that was manageable.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I think that maintaining and updating an email list consisting of thousands of names and addresses could be a major headache. This is currently a volunteer operation and it was a pretty time consuming thing for Carla Brietner, (who did the sample newsletter), to go through club newsletters, pick out certain ones, compile it into the national newsletter and get it mailed out to the hundred or so clubs that the organizing group has identified. I hope that this will fly but it will be a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Does anyone have a feel how big the distribution list would be for people who are not members of a club?

I was thinking of breaking that distribution up into logical groups of a manageable size, say 500 or less.
So to cover 20,000 individuals who are not club members, the newsletter would be sent to 40 distribution points (say me being one for Ontario) and I would maintain the distribution list for that group and forward the newsletter.
I assume the newsletter would be published perhaps once a month.

·
Registered
248 Posts
1. No
2. yup
3. yup

For years I looked forward to getting GR. Always excited to see it in the mailbox and had to flip through it as soon as it was in my hands. Like a good friend wasted away over a few months and died.

Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Response to Newsletter Query

Yes
Yes
Yes
The club I belong to is a general model railroading club of all scales, not jut G scale. Does that count?
Keith Johnson

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yes
Yes
Yes
The club I belong to is a general model railroading club of all scales, not jut G scale. Does that count?
Keith Johnson
Probably not because the Club is not on the "radar."

The intent here is that if you already belong to a "G-scale" Club, you would receive it through your Club representative.

I want it to be inclusive of all because much of the Hobby would be left out, and this has been a point of contention because it makes things harder to do. Whereas a Club may reach 100+ members, these would be individual accounts to deal with and many just want to get things rolling at this point in time.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Rather than Facebook or an email "push" perhaps it could be posted in the "cloud" as public, i.e. Google Cloud, MS OneDrive, etc. Then it would be the reader's responsibility to view/download it and there would be no need to manage email addresses.

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
Current decision seems to be unrestricted access to the newsletters.

We have a link to it on our club site: www.sdgrs.com (click on the bold letters) At the beginning of the page is a note and a link. This is to the "sample" newsletter vol 1, number 1

Greg

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Current decision seems to be unrestricted access to the newsletters.

We have a link to it on our club site: www.sdgrs.com (click on the bold letters) At the beginning of the page is a note and a link. This is to the "sample" newsletter vol 1, number 1

Greg

Thank you Greg.

OK, you've all read it above. The first edition of the eNewsetter can be downloaded from the San Diego Garden Railway Society's web site at Greg's link.

I hope everyone enjoys it as you helped make this happen. If you have positive thoughts, don't hesitate to post them.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts