G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would You Be Interested in a New Garden Railroading eNewsletter for FREE?

In the wake of Garden Railways Magazine’s demise, there is currently a “Task Force” of about 27 people representing 13 Garden Railroad Clubs in five states that are putting together an eNewsletter for bi-monthly (every other month) distribution.

At this time the eNewsletter is to be oriented toward the various Garden Railroad Clubs across the U.S., but also includes Canada and Overseas clubs. To date, over 125 Clubs had been identified and as of last week most had been contacted as to joining the Group. At this time, several have “signed on.”

The eNewsletter is compiled from the best articles, builds, suggestions, etc. from the various newsletters of those Clubs within the Group. The eNewsletter is FREE to all Group Club members and can be downloaded or viewed on-line. The effort is to be funded through modest vendor ads, primarily geared toward the “Mom and Pop Shops” that our hobby needs so badly just to stay alive. These people really have no outlet to show their wares, and this provides them the opportunity to reach their target market with their products and services. Additionally, many of these vendors are actually members of the various Clubs across the U.S.

The first eNewsletter is now complete and has been sent to those Clubs identified. If you are a member of one of the identified Clubs, your Club representative has probably already received a copy for distribution to its membership. The current eNewsletter is 42 pages in length.

As noted, the “Task Force” is orienting this effort toward the various clubs, at least for now. I am of the mind that this leaves out a great number of people in the hobby, including some of the best talent and many people who had previously submitted articles to Garden Railways Magazine, who may not belong to any club for whatever reason (e.g., distance, social reasons, etc.). Personally, I would like to see these people included in the distribution, if they want to be included.

So, I have three questions of the Forum group:

Do you belong to an established Garden Railroad Club (Y/N)?

If “No”,

Would you be interested in receiving/downloading the eNewsletter compiled from the various Group Member Clubs’ newsletters (Y/N)?

If “Yes” (to the above),

Would you provide an email contact point-of-contact to receive/download the eNewsletter (Y/N)?

Thanks guys.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
[email protected] for the SDGRS

Currently on the SDGRS web site, we offer downloads from about 7 other clubs to our members. We are members of the "alliance" that was set up by the person driving this current effort.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
[email protected] for the SDGRS

Currently on the SDGRS web site, we offer downloads from about 7 other clubs to our members. We are members of the "alliance" that was set up by the person driving this current effort.
Yes, SDGRS is already included in the Group and in fact has an article in the current eNewsletter from one of its members.

BTW, have you received your issue yet?

Thanks,

Todd

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Nope, checked all my emails since Bill Derville approached me with the idea on Aug 7.

I'm the webmaster, and do all the emailing for the club, so it should go to me, or it can go to our president, but better to me. I'm on the BOD also, so I am "properly authorized" to receive it, ha ha.

Greg

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, checked all my emails since Bill Derville approached me with the idea on Aug 7.

I'm the webmaster, and do all the emailing for the club, so it should go to me, or it can go to our president, but better to me. I'm on the BOD also, so I am "properly authorized" to receive it, ha ha.

Greg

Gene Cook replaced Bob Treat on the Task Force. Maybe he is waiting for your newsletter to come out?

I simply attached it to our OCGRS newsletter as a link in my column and it will come out any day now. (Our newsletter goes out the first of the month.) Some groups have already reported receiving theirs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Todd,

I do not belong to an established Garden Railroad Club. I would definitely like to receive a newsletter. I was a longtime HO modeler and was introduced to G scale and garden railroading by Pete Eggink in Delaware in the early 2000's. I have just recently been putting a plan in a action to build a raised railroad. I have been attending the ECLSTS for years and did manage to build a G scale layout suspended around the walls of my man cave. Other attendees of the show in York, PA may remember the HighRails booth. I have been slowly acquiring a pretty good number of rolling stock and a few diesel locos over the years, hoping that they would someday actually run outside! I am a Reading Lines fan as my great grandfather was an engineer of camelbacks back in the early 20th century. I have been converting the locomotives to radio control using Revolution On-Board receivers, battery power, and Phoenix sound boards. I am in gratitude to several members of this forum for their generous and friendly advice and guidance. You have all helped me quietly achieve my hobby dreams! I'm looking forward to sharing my construction progress. 4x4 posts are getting installed in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Scott McKently

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Todd, apparently out "representative" is indeed Gene Cook.

I need to go to the source of the distribution, so I will all Bill D, I know him pretty well.

We'll put these up on our site along with the other club newsletters we provide to our members.

By the way, I would like to get the back issues of your club, I only have some of 2019 and some of 2020. I'd also be happy to share the other club newsletters I have if you want them.

Greg

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Todd, apparently out "representative" is indeed Gene Cook.

I need to go to the source of the distribution, so I will all Bill D, I know him pretty well.

We'll put these up on our site along with the other club newsletters we provide to our members.

By the way, I would like to get the back issues of your club, I only have some of 2019 and some of 2020. I'd also be happy to share the other club newsletters I have if you want them.

Greg
Sent it to your email with the cover letter -recipient. (Sorry was in my business account at the time.)

I don't know that our newletter editor keeps back issues. I know my wife does and has since I started writing the "View From the Cab" for the newsletter every month for the last 123 issues.

Interesting, let me know if the links don't work and if not, I'll get you a copy where they do.

If you post it beyond your club (i.e., to the web) where others can see it, you need to first run that through Gene Cook, and maybe the Task Force who have decided to keep it to the Clubs for now. Neither you nor I want to get in "Hot Water."

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
No, everything like this requires members to log in, and clearly it's not "ours" to presume distribution outside our club.

Newsletters from outside our club are treated this way, as well as our member contact list.

Also, basically I do all this for the club, and don't really want to take more tasks on, it's enough just to support our club, but I am happy to comply of course anyway.

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, everything like this requires members to log in, and clearly it's not "ours" to presume distribution outside our club.

Newsletters from outside our club are treated this way, as well as our member contact list.

Thanks, Greg
Excellent. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I assume people in this forum also received the latest email from Garden Railways about their "Better online experience arriving soon" - a new online experience arriving in Fall 2020!

I assume they are looking for some $$$$ for that

·
Registered
6 Posts
N/Y/Y
Don't really want to post my email on a public forum, so a PM to me might be in order,
Or let me know by posting here, if you wish me to PM you.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts