G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been unable to find out how the event went. Supposed to be the longest model train, and large scale at that. Does anybody know?

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I just checked the red shirt site and did not see any new postings.
I would think they would have to body mount those gunderson couplers or wire tie the ones that come factory. truck mounts pull down under pressure.
I use Aristo TE in my USAT BigBoy and it handles the load fine.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Marty, They have body mounted Kaydee couplers. According to the other site, there were problems with the Big Boys today.
I worked there two days last week, and it is a huge undertaking to say the least. There are many problems, and if anyone can solve them all, Rick can. If it can be done now, he will do it.
Paul

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
It is still going on. You can link to the live video feed from his site. The trains were just running but have been stopped again for the last 10 minutes or so. Not sure how much light is left though, maybe 2 hours?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Guys
I was there last weekend and we were unable to get the "trains" to couple together.
It is two USA gp30 to 6 usa 5 car articulated sets.
As well as three USA big boys on the point in the middle and as pusher.
the are trying to do it as I type
There is live video feed from the DRV&E at www.ricktherailroadguy.com click on the watch it live icon on the top of the home page.
Also rick has told me that there are about 38 sets of 5 car articulated numbered with there location on the train that he is trying to sell
As well as the gp30 are being sold as a pair wit there unit number in the train wit locolink and a controler.
If anybody is interested you can send me an email ofline and I can talk to rick
Marty the bigboys are set up wit two locolink receavers and two sets of 18volt batterys
Thanks
Matt
P.S.
The train has the langth to beet the record

·
Registered
145 Posts
Guys
Just talked to rick the USA donated big boy lost its side rods and the other two wouldnt stay on the track through the switch.
Marty hows yours like the #6 switches?
running all diesals had 7 of the 15 trains working
Matt

·
Registered
145 Posts
Guys
Just talked to rick he is planning to do it tomarow and friday at two PM
He is lookoing for engeneers bad
If you are in the phoenix area you could send me an email offline or get his number from his site posted above
All the help he can get would be appriciated
Matt

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Matt
to be honest, I have to baby the BB all the time. Its NOT made to go backwards and the smoker doesn't work now. My AC #6 are ok going slow to med speeds. I talked to Jens last night he ajusted the springs to push down harder on the tender lead truck and pilot truck.
Its a great loco but no fun to run.
Any little stick on the rail ,it will walk up on the rail instead of crushing it like I thought it would. its a 45 pd "baby"

I really hope Rick makes it happen, hes tried hard enough. NO one can fault him for that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Marty
Thats why they call it a world record it is not ment to be beat and if kt is beat it is not easy.
Also what kind of ru time to you get out of it and what kind of batteys
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Seems to me, armchair quarterbacking, that the way to do this would have been track power. Sure, that railway's not a good candidate for track power for everyday use, it's too big, but the problem seems to be synching the locos and a bunch of guys.

You could run 100 feet of uninsulated wire on either side of the track, and jumper it to the rails with alligator clips. Then get a honkin big power supply and throttle, and run a track cleaner around for 15 minutes. Then all the locos would be getting the same commands and you wouldn't have the nes in back pushing the front cars into derailment, etc.

It'd be expensive to get all that wire, but it could be wound back on the reel and sold. And who doesn't need 1000 alligator clips?

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Posted By lownote on 05/06/2008 9:08 AM
Seems to me, armchair quarterbacking, that the way to do this would have been track power. Sure, that railway's not a good candidate for track power for everyday use, it's too big, but the problem seems to be synching the locos and a bunch of guys.
You could run 100 feet of uninsulated wire on either side of the track, and jumper it to the rails with alligator clips. Then get a honkin big power supply and throttle, and run a track cleaner around for 15 minutes. Then all the locos would be getting the same commands and you wouldn't have the nes in back pushing the front cars into derailment, etc.
It'd be expensive to get all that wire, but it could be wound back on the reel and sold. And who doesn't need 1000 alligator clips?

While track power could work, this would not be the way to do it. You would need the amperage of a large arc welder! One derailment and... /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

The way to do it would be to seperate the track into seperate blocks of, say 50 feet. Each block would have a 20 amp power pack, and the system would use a common ground. The "train" would have groups of engines every ~50 feet so each group is essentually fed by its own 20 amp source. No more than two groups of engines would ever occupy a block at any one time and the power sources could keep up with the consist. The power sources would be first synced with a voltmeter and a master switch could be used to turn all on simultaneously.

·
Super Modulator
21,353 Posts
For such a big effort, maybe a little more planning was in order.

Track power would be too much amperage if it was one block, and way too much hassle to break into blocks if not already wired that way.

This will sound nuts, but I would run wireless, but find a way to have several transmitters. I'd use a one-way wireless system (bidirectional too hard), and then hook an amplifier to the SINGLE controller and run the output to several antennas. I would use a simple system like RC Systems.

Run all the locos by themselves to get them matched well enough (does not have to be perfect, the load will even things out).

Now you don't have to worry about 50 amps of power, nor multiple throttles.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Marty:

"Its a great loco but no fun to run. "

Um...what?! That seems to be a contradictory statement. If it is a great engine, then why is it no fun to run? If it is no fun to run, what makes it great? Why have it? Maybe you should sharpen the lead truck flanges to be as sharp as knives so that anything that gets in their way gets cut!!

As for the worlds longest train, ok, whatever. I saw the ad in GR and thought, that looks funny, a big boy with double stacks. I had bad flashbacks of this book I started to read, but the dog didn't like it and shredded it for me before I could finish.

180 cars? Why aren't they stock cars or reefers? Cutting down on the number of axles?

Why aren't all the locos linked together to one controller? Didn't I read they were controlled with LOCOLINC? Isn't what that does? Why not use more helpers more often and use smaller locomotives, like aristo SD-45s or the like, spaced at head, 1/5, 2/5, 3/5, 4/5 and end of the train?

50 AMPS!! for 3 engines? (and 6 motors?) Time to switch to 110 or 240 or 480!! Are they using marine batteries?! I sure hope no one gets hurt playing trains!! How many amps does one Big Boy draw?!

Yike!!

This would be way better if he used rockets for power.

·
Super Modulator
21,353 Posts
I might not be following the number of locos proposed, but I get close to 10 amps with about 3 running at heavy load, so that was my guesstimate. I think I would use more locos, like a bunch of SD-45's, a tried and true workhorse.

Locolink does not have the range to do this... trust me... You need a way for all the locos to hear one transmitter, and that means a one-way system to be simple. All the 2 way systems I know about are DCC, and that usually means track power.

If money was no object, I would do it with DCC, multiple boosters would give 10-25 amps per power block, then all the boosters run from a single command station, and you can get wireless systems that can have up to 32 radio base stations... but I'm sure this is not at all appropriate for the financial and experience constraints of this project.

Anyway, it's fun th think about...

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Greg,

If money wasn't a problem, why not do this with live steam Big Boys or Alleghenies or some other huge steam locomotives!!

I guess I'll have to look at the website to see how many engines are actually on this thing. It wasn't clear from the post, I thought it was saying "3 big boys, one up front, one in the middle, and one pushing", but that was my translation, and maybe it wasn't what the writer actually meant, and was simply in a huge hurry to post????? If it was really 3 up front, 3 in the middle, and 3 pushing, that'd make more sense about the power draw, but not about the power required. Did Jens Bangs have pictures posted of the 100+ car train he pulled with a single Big Boy? How many cars are they trying to pull?

Planning? What's that?!

If the post is right, it looks like he's planning to sell the train when done. I hope it works!

Mark

·
Super Modulator
21,353 Posts
There was mention of some more locos earlier, and then the 3 big boys later. It was confusing to me.

The issue is enough power, and good control. Steam locos would REALLY be a pain! The ideal situation would be identical locos, that all run at very similar speeds, then find a way to power all of them and control all of them with a single control.

I don't know any details on the layout, but I would guess it's not level, I thenk Jens' has some really level spots... that could account for the need for much more motive power. It could also be that while the target layout is long, it has sharper curves.

Maybe someone has a link or can shed more info on the target layout.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am one of the 15 engeneers in the wolds longest trains.
From talking to rick and being at the layout to run the train
A) There is NO way that you could run the train under track power NO mader how many blocks there are.
B) Tod If you could use blocks how would it be possible to know whick block one of the 44 engines are in to spead it up or slow it down.
C)And the whole armchair thing that the layout is not in the condition for track power that is not true the layout could be track powered it has rail clamps concret road bed
D)Tod it takes between halfhour and 45 minutes to get around the layout
E)Mark it is 75 sets of five car articulated that make a grand total of 395 cars the articulateds let us have one fith the number of coupalers for slack as well as the fact that the middle three cars share one truck
F)The planning of this thing is through the roof
G)Greg it is possible for that kind of range you hook the antina to the track
H) Mark if you were to use a single transmitter it would be 7 amps times 44 equals 308 amps
I)Greg DCC would not work eather the layout covers almost three acres!
J)Greg and others the info on the layout is
3800 feet of track overall
* 1254 linear feet of track per main and it is a double track main.
* 91 feet of bridges
* 95 feet of trestles
* 78 feet of tunnels
* 1 city with a streetcar that runs through it separately from the mainline
* several smaller towns and ranches
* a pond with a capacity of 12,000 gallons which spills over into a river flowing to a dammed reservoir.
The one proble are grades we decend 7 feet 6 inches from we exit the train barn to the bottom of the hill in about 800 feet of track
K) The main reason that we are using the big boys are that USA donated them
L) the other 44 engines are all brand new USA GP-30's with locolink and 1 volt batterys
M) for more info and pictures of the Dynamite Rio verde and eastern go to www.ricktherailroadguy.com click on RAILROADS and then 3/4 of the page you will see the dynamite rio verde and eastern.

IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR IDEAS IE DCC, ONE CONTROLER ETC.
Rick told me to post his phone number he would be more then happy to talk the train or anything about trains
the number is
602-501-7553
If there are any questions feel free to call again the number is
602-501-7553

·
Super Modulator
21,353 Posts
hmm, this makes for interesting discussion... please take it as that, and not arguing.

Posted By cabforward on 05/06/2008 3:27 PM
I am one of the 15 engeneers in the wolds longest trains.
From talking to rick and being at the layout to run the train
A) There is NO way that you could run the train under track power NO mader how many blocks there are.

>> Interesting, since you say in C below it could be track powered, I cannot see how you say you could not make the train run under track power. Please tell me what specifically makes it impossible.

B) Tod If you could use blocks how would it be possible to know whick block one of the 44 engines are in to spead it up or slow it down.

>>> if you set the unit up so that each block got the same voltage it would work, assuming you matched your locomotives... which is a good idea... or you could use constant voltage in all the blocks and then some kind of receiver in each loco like Aristo TE, DCC, MTH DCS, Locolinc, LGB MTH, AirWire.... (should I go on???)

C)And the whole armchair thing that the layout is not in the condition for track power that is not true the layout could be track powered it has rail clamps concret road bed

>>> Great! gives you more possible choices on how to make it run.

D)Tod it takes between halfhour and 45 minutes to get around the layout

>> 1254 feet is 0.2275 mile. 0.2375 mile in 3/4 of an hour is 9.1833 scale miles per hour by my calculations. Do you guys really run that slow? Or is this with stops?

E)Mark it is 75 sets of five car articulated that make a grand total of 395 cars the articulateds let us have one fith the number of coupalers for slack as well as the fact that the middle three cars share one truck

F)The planning of this thing is through the roof

>> does that mean a lot of planning already took place, or there is a lot to go?

G)Greg it is possible for that kind of range you hook the antina to the track

>> kind of iffy still on such a long layout...

H) Mark if you were to use a single transmitter it would be 7 amps times 44 equals 308 amps

I)Greg DCC would not work eather the layout covers almost three acres!

>>> It would work with the NCE system and their latest wireless cabs... no problem

J)Greg and others the info on the layout is
3800 feet of track overall
* 1254 linear feet of track per main and it is a double track main.
* 91 feet of bridges
* 95 feet of trestles
* 78 feet of tunnels
* 1 city with a streetcar that runs through it separately from the mainline
* several smaller towns and ranches
* a pond with a capacity of 12,000 gallons which spills over into a river flowing to a dammed reservoir.
The one proble are grades we decend 7 feet 6 inches from we exit the train barn to the bottom of the hill in about 800 feet of track
K) The main reason that we are using the big boys are that USA donated them
L) the other 44 engines are all brand new USA GP-30's with locolink and 1 volt batterys

>>>> probably not 1 volt, 12 volt?

M) for more info and pictures of the Dynamite Rio verde and eastern go to www.ricktherailroadguy.com click on RAILROADS and then 3/4 of the page you will see the dynamite rio verde and eastern.
IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR IDEAS IE DCC, ONE CONTROLER ETC.

>>> I'd do it the way I first said, although DCC might actually be cheaper and better for later. I could do it either way I suggested.

Rick told me to post his phone number he would be more then happy to talk the train or anything about trains
the number is
602-501-7553
If there are any questions feel free to call again the number is
602-501-7553

1 - 20 of 104 Posts