G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  I just wanted to let everyone know that is interested that The Worlds Greatest Hobby on Tour is comming to Kansas City, Missouri  March 15th and 16th. That is just 3 weeks away!!!!!!!!!

How much is admission?
Registration fee at the show is $10.00 for adults and children under 16 are FREE - Registration provides access to the show for both days. 

Kansas City • Missour
     March 15 & 16, 2008
     Kansas City Convention Center
     301 West 13th Street
     Kansas City, Missouri

What is there to see at the show?

- 50,000 sqft. of Huge Operating Model Railroad Railroads
- GIANT Riding Train for Kids
- 200 Booths of Manufacturers and retailers
- 100 Thomas the Tank Trains for Kids to run
- DCC controlled railroads for adults to run
- The Choo Choo Charlie Railroad Entertainment Stage
- Demonstrations, seminars, and new products
These companies are participating in every
World's Greatest Hobby Show in 2007 and 2008

The World’s Greatest Hobby on Tour is a new kind of event that showcases the hobby of model railroading. Sponsored by the Model Railroad Industry Association and by the World’s Greatest Hobby Program, the show is intended to introduce the general public to model railroading in an entertaining, lively and family-friendly atmosphere. The show hopes to create new train enthusiasts by exposing the public to the very best model railroading has to offer. The hobby of model railroading has a unique ability to bring the family together in activities that teach many skills. Model Railroad skills span from carpentry to artistry, from electrical engineering to historical research. Model Railroading is the World’s Greatest Hobby.

The kansas City Garden Railway Society will be there debuting thier NEW Modular layout. The new modules were built by Micheal Neibaum of  www.michaelswoodworking.homestead.com. So, stop by and see us if you are there.
Cliff

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Maybe I need to see about dropping by for a day???

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be cool Marty, But that is a VERY long drop!!!!!!!:D
Come on down, It might even be warm that day.......LOL

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Raymond Manley is going to run a 60 car coal train with 2 Aristo Mallets on the front and 1 Mallet on the back. KCGRS is setting up a 40x80 Layout to run it on. It might be worth the trip . Come on down Marty.

David

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have posted flyers on BOTH bulliten boards at work and have been telling everyone I know who likes trains about the show. Has anyone else been " bragging " about the show?  I have even been telling them about the club Module and telling them to come see the BIG Coal Train. 

I posted a video of the Coal Train from the last show it was at and a guy left a comment that;
              "it was the best part of the show."

Cliff

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Raymond paid the guy to say that....

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
You diffinatley do not want to miss.  I attended here in Atlanta last year and the show was awesome.  Lots of venders and lot of new stuff to look at.  Our club also set up our layout.  So many kids that just were aw struck. 

·
Registered
183 Posts
I will probably be there on Saturday afternoon. We're going to be in town for the Big-12 Tournament (Women's) and will be leaving Sunday Morning.

Mark

G

·
0 Posts
Marty,

If you decide to go let me know.  I might go with you if I'm free.

Ed

G

·
0 Posts
Cliff,

Will this be mostly HO, N and O stuff at the show?  Besides your layout are there other G layouts?  What about G-scale dealers?

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
  My family and I will be attending on Saturday. I've always wanted to see one of these WGH shows! Hopefully, we will see some of you there!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/satisfied.gif

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ed, from what I understand, there is supposed to be ALL scales represented there, including G scale. Our club had our Monthly meeting today and I found out that there is sanother G club called "The Whizzo's (?) that is supposed to have a G scale layout also. There are also G scale dealers coming too. 

Cliff

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Don't say dealers cause Bubba spends too much.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Posted By NTCGRR on 03/03/2008 8:16 AM
Don't say dealers cause Bubba spends too much.

Marty, you will just have to make bubba leave his wallet at home, just make sure he has enough to help with gas........LOL

Cliff

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
 I  just wanted to update this a little. The set-up for the show will take place on Friday, the 14th from 9am-5pm. Our club has had one of our members ( Michael Nebaum of  www.trainbuildings.com ) build 8 new curve sections and 8 new straight sections. So we will have either have 2 modules set up or one very LARGE  module set up. I think they are leaning toward 2 seperate modules. We have been given a 40'X80' space for our layout. Our club layout will be located at the southend of the building. So, stop by and say "HI" and if you can have your MLS badge on.

Cliff

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
The WGH on tour IS a different train show. They do put out quite a bit of adverisement; radio, TV, and print. There was a big crowd, many vendors AND they allowed us to set up our newly created, purpose built live steam setup. Check out my posting in the "Live Steam" forum:www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/11/postid/14163/view/topic/Default.aspx

Now don't go there thinking that it will be "G" scale oriented. It's no the ECLST or the Queen Mary but there were three or four Large Scale vendors at the one here in southeast Virginia.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need to make a correction to an earlier post, the name of the other G-scale module that will be there is NOT the "Whizo's", but a group called the G-Whiz Gang. My appologies to anyone in that group who may have seen this post.

And here are the Show Times for the show;

Saturday,March 15th,   10Am-6PM

Sunday,March 16th     Trade & VIP 9:30am-10am
            General Public 10am-5pm

Cliff

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
  Ask and ye shall receive!! We attended TWGHS on Saturday and arrived about 11:00am. I could see that this train show would be well attended as it was packed with people of all ages! I was especially gratified to see whole families attending with their children (although the occasional stroller did make it difficult to get through some of the aisles!) The show was essentially a "regular" train show with all scales being represented and vendors selling everything from Thomas to Standard Gauge Tin Plate Lionel! There were a number of vendors with Large Scale items so our chosen scale was adequately represented.
  Of the manufacturer's reps, Lionel had a nice display and there were a number of smaller scale manufacturers as well. In Large Scale, I saw two; Bachmann had a prominent dsplay at the entrance to the show and MTH had a nice display as well. Both manufacturers model multiple scales and their displays reflected this. One high note: I was able to finally meet "The Bachmann" in person! I found him as affable and friendly in person as he is on the forum. They had a K-27 prominently displayed (unlettered, green boiler) along with a number of O scale Williams diesels and an On30 and an HO display layout.
  Of the club layouts, there were two largescale represented. The first one, as reported, was the KCGRS's new modular layout. Here's some shots:

At the KCGRS layout I met up with Raymond having fun with his coal train being pulled by two "Big Boys" with one Mallet trailing:

The train was so large I couldn't get it into two pictures let alone one!:

One guess as to where all the kids were sitting enthralled!;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts