G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this happened to You ???? Never through I would see this./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

I had a few nice days out and fig. I would test the tracks and do some repairs where need. So I set up a string of cars to back in to with a GP-38-2 and a GP-9 w/ sounds turned and then thissssssss .  Bam... Breaker tripped..  

I
turned around and this is what happed.

I reset the breaker to see if i could back, back out of it.. 

Yep it work.. and Found a small rock got in to the points even after i clean all the track Switches out./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/doze.gif

After that, I hooked up to about 20 cars or so and ran these Eng's for awhile and then tried adding a few more Eng's to bring the amp load up 8 to 10 amps to make sure I  had no bad track connection..  

I did find one bad conection that I couldn't find for a long time on Pine tree jct. block.. ( It would drop about 2 or 3 volts to the track some times.)Rusted out wire eye that was crimped on nbr 12 solid copper wire. Darn sink tubing came off some how??
See the link for the fun runs I had. .:D
More Pic here.

The problems one has running a Railroad. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
RE: Working on layout & Split a track switch

Done that lots of times, but I've never managed to back out of it and come out on the rails [:D]

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Happens to us all the time.  Give it enough time and it will happen to you again. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif 

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I took a look at your pics, and I hope you don't mind, but this one is really nice:

I like how the train is reflected in the water.  If that was here, all the plants would be brown and the lake would be suitable for skating!

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tks. for the come back.   Ya.. it probably happen again.. Just never see a GP-9 do the splits like that.. 
After the last few storms the ballast needs to be  re-done  so it dosen't happen again.   Things are still messy around here yet and have one tree still with ropes and pully to keep it off the house until it drys out and I can top it./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

Quote Markoles.
 took a look at your pics, and I hope you don't mind, but this one is really nice:

I like how the train is reflected in the water.  If that was here, all the plants would be brown and the lake would be suitable for skating!

Markoles.. No problem.. Glad you like them..  I had fun testing the tracks out to find any voltage drops so ya.. had to run some long trains./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif
Any pic. of what it look like in PA??? I just seen the weather bug and Kane PA. is - 6 degs. right now. WOW.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I just took this pic outside with my phone, hence the poor quality.  It is snowing here today, but it will warm up later so all of this will melt and then turn to ice.  Fun!  This is the "Sqare" in downtown York, PA.  Kane, PA is far from here, about 3-4 hours drive in good weather. 

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
RE: Working on layout & Split a track switch

Snowing here.

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tks for the pix.  Ph. cam did a good job of showing the weather there.  Great shot.  "Where the trains and track ?"/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif..........Boy... and I was yrs. ago thinking of moving to Pa.. Guess I can just put up with the rain and sun on my hill in Rio Linda.. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I didn't walk down to the RR tracks, but I guess I should have.  Today, all that snow is turned to ice and its raining even more.  34 and rain.  There was about 1/4" ice on everything this morning, so I didn't rush out to work.  Now, its just cold and miserable out there!  

Most of the time, its not bad here, and this is one of the four seasons we get here! usually doesn't last long, though. Also, gave me a great excuse to build a roaring fire last night!! 

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By markoles on 02/13/2008 11:26 AM
I didn't walk down to the RR tracks, but I guess I should have.  Today, all that snow is turned to ice and its raining even more.  34 and rain.  There was about 1/4" ice on everything this morning, so I didn't rush out to work.  Now, its just cold and miserable out there!  

Most of the time, its not bad here, and this is one of the four seasons we get here! usually doesn't last long, though. Also, gave me a great excuse to build a roaring fire last night!! 

Mark
And up here the last of the snow isn't gone until late April or sometimes early May. We are frozen in here from mid-October. Today the temp is a balmy minus 15 and will probably even reach above zero.   Were I to ever move south, though, I would still probably end up in a place where there was a real winter.  Rio Linda is a little too summery for me. Maybe northern Arizona in the high desert . . .

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Posted By blackburn49 on 02/13/2008 11:32 AM
Posted By markoles on 02/13/2008 11:26 AM

Mark
And up here the last of the snow isn't gone until late April or sometimes early May. We are frozen in here from mid-October. Today the temp is a balmy minus 15 and will probably even reach above zero.   Were I to ever move south, though, I would still probably end up in a place where there was a real winter.  Rio Linda is a little too summery for me. Maybe northern Arizona in the high desert . . . 

Ya i can see how cold you guys have it.. wow.. I don't think I could stand that. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif Born in Ca. and use to the weather here it not to bad after see the rest of the county when driving my big rigs.. Got in to a partnership.  We had 5 rigs on the road with nice sleepers. 
 But in not to sure of Arizona either.. I went thru a lot of flash flood storms out there and bad sand storms.. Took the polish  finish off of my Big alum.bumper,  just had been redone. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif  Also, messed up side windows on my K W. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif  Had enough putting on snow chains on set of Dbl. to.  Triples suck in the big winds./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/cry.gif
So guess I'll stick to my hill here being now retired./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif  ( 50ft above sea level and I'm setting at 56 ft. laf.) besides having all of my animals and ponds,  It kind of nice to go out and get in a boat with my kat or just about anytime run trains . 
Guess I should stop complaining after hearing and seeing how you guys have..  I can put up with splitting the rail. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By noelw on 02/13/2008 3:59 PM

. . . But in not to sure of Arizona either.. I went thru a lot of flash flood storms out there and bad sand storms.. Took the polish  finish off of my Big alum.bumper . . .

Oh,no. NOT the desert per se. I was thinking more along the lines of Jerome.  It even sits on the remnants of an old copper mine where the last superintendent of Kennecott once worked. That is one great place way up there in the high hills ABOVE the high desert. Climate is far more moderate than Phoenix, too. 

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Posted By blackburn49 on 02/13/2008 5:31 PM
Posted By noelw on 02/13/2008 3:59 PM

. . . But in not to sure of Arizona either.. I went thru a lot of flash flood storms out there and bad sand storms.. Took the polish  finish off of my Big alum.bumper . . .

Oh,no. NOT the desert per se. I was thinking more along the lines of Jerome.  It even sits on the remnants of an old copper mine where the last superintendent of Kennecott once worked. That is one great place way up there in the high hills ABOVE the high desert. Climate is far more moderate than Phoenix, too. 

If you (or anyone) ever gets to Jerome, don't miss riding on the Verde Canyon Railroad, at the base of the mountain.  The scenery is beautiful..., far nicer than the Grand Canyon Railway.  Also once a month on the full moon they do a night run.  We've done the day run many times and the night run and both are spectacular!;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts