G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in an antique store today and noted they had several of the Weisco steam engines and shop accessories. The lady said they had bought out a collection of these steam engines and these were the few that were left. None looked to be in great shape (4), though most appeared fairly complete Anyway, while looking through the stuff, I noted a G-scale working Heron Steam engine. It had the mounted ball ball (~3" diameter) with nozzles, and chassis, but I saw no heat source.

Really cute, and I don't think I've ever seen a Heron engine before. Didn't see a price on it and had to leave for a meeting. Could make a really cool and obscure load... Might just have to go back there.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 11/13/2008 5:58 PM
What antique store? Can I get there before you do?

I've searched the net and can find no info on anyone who made model Aeolipiles like this. It looked to be of commercial make. Any idea of the possible origin? (I would probably recognize a picture of it.)

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I remember seeing an Aeolipile for sale in a RR fan catalog of some sort... Historic Rail or ??? (I can't remember the other catalog I used to get.) Micro-Mark sold limited edition Sterling engines at one time, maybe it was from them. How much was the one in the antique shop (or was it a Junque Shoppe?)?

You still haven't told me where it is! :)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 11/13/2008 7:23 PM
I remember seeing an Aeolipile for sale in a RR fan catalog of some sort... Historic Rail or ??? (I can't remember the other catalog I used to get.) Micro-Mark sold limited edition Sterling engines at one time, maybe it was from them. How much was the one in the antique shop (or was it a Junque Shoppe?)?

You still haven't told me where it is! :)

I didn't see a price on it and the owners husband "who knew that stuff" wasn't there at the time. Most of the crap I saw was way outta line, but the owners never really expect to get that much. The sign said "going out of business" but the secretary at the meeting I attended across street said that sign is always there.

Store is in Newport Beach, CA on Old Newport Road. No idea of the name, only the location.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
That is a few feet too far for me to "go shopping".

Around here you have to have a city (or state) permit to put a sign in the window that says "Going out of business"... there were too many stores that ran that type of scam for years on end... used the excuse to keep from having to honor warranties or a return policy and fooled people into thinking the prices were lower than they otherwise would be. And once you get the permit, you have a dead line to vacate the storefront.

Sure sounds like a Junque Shoppe, but I have gotten some real bargains at those sorts of places (and I have to admit I have been taken to the cleaners, too).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts