G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I find flourescent lights, while economical and good for over all light, to be uncomfortable to my eyes for close up work. I prefer the mellower light of incandescent bulbs for that use. There are some that emulate natural sunlight in color. Most portable clamp on lights are limited to about 75 - 100 watts which is also inadequate in my estimation unless they're so close as to be in the way.

I found some very nice portable lamps that are used for chick brooders and can take up to a 250 watt bulb and don't cost much more than regular lamps. I use 150 watt in mine and can get plenty of light without having it right on top of me. They have the same metallic shades as the regular clamp on lights so the light can be directed where needed. Brood lamps should be available where feed, etc., is sold as well as some hardware stores which is where I got mine.

The lamps I have don't have clamps but have loops that allow them to be hung with a chain from above or onto a homemade wooden stand. By installing two at different angles you can eliminate shadows pretty well.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.