G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has had animal troubles with Woodland Scenics G scale figures?

I have several figures by several makes, but for some reason pack rats and other critters loved to try and eat our Woodland Scenics figures, especially the deer. This set:

What are these figures made of? None of my other figures are ever bothered (Just Plain Folk, Bachmann, Preiser, Pola, Silver Ridge Mining, etc...).

·
Premium Member
965 Posts

The squirels ate the head of this figure. They have chewed on LGB switch motors, building edges & stock car roofs as well. Several figures have vanished altogether.

Jim C.

BTW, I tried to repair the headless canoe operator by taking the head from another unused figure.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
There was an article on the lack of Acorns on the internet a while back. The phenomenon extends far and wide- through out the East and farther. The squirrels have already been observed as acting far stranger than usual, and there are now groups studying why the Acorns are gone.

Jonathan/EMw

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting about the acorns.

But no shortage in our area (Colorado). There were so many acorns from the scrub oaks this year that I collected a bunch and planted them in strategic locations.

I like the idea of using the anti-nail biting stuff, but then it might attract Racoons...and they can be a nuisance. Not so much to the layout area, but the younger ones love to swing on our hammock. Kinda cute.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
The acorn thing is kind of eerie. I mean, there are always variations--some years there are so many the sidewalk is covered, other years there are less, but this year absolutely none> my wife was feeling sorry fr the squirels--I don't--and she put a pan of dried corn out--it hasn't been touched

I need to go check if any woodland scenics figures have been decapitated

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
The last two years, the hedgeapple [Osage Orange] crop has been greatly diminished. After having close to 500 three years ago, last year there were 5, and this year only about 100. The squirels like to roll the hedgeapples onto the tracks to hold them in place while dining.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Our Live Oak trees down here in Florida seem to put out acorns every other year. This is a down year so there aren't many. My problem with "tree rats" is that a next door neighbor feeds them, so we are overloaded with them chewing on everything.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My hickory tree is in an off year too. Seems it comes and goes. The bees are a problem though, a friend of my dads keeps bees and says they are dwindeling. Some folks blame it on the increased use of cell phones and radio waves, they say they bees get "lost" and just don't come back. Whatever the reason it could become a big problem.

My biggest problem with figures are my kids. I always find them in the sandbox, in the tonka trucks etc... It's quite amusing sometimes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts