G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of wood is generally used for scratch building cars for outdoor use?  Midwest offers balsa, basswood, walnut, mahogany, cherry and spruce in stripwood, which is what i plan on using for alot of the construction.

I plan on bringing the cars inside when not in use, but they may be left out in the occassional rain or snow storm.

Thanks a Million,
Chris

· Premium Member
4,797 Posts
For that kind of use, almost anything would do, except maybe balsa, as long as you:

1. Use a waterproof glue like titebond.
2. Finish BOTH sides of the wood so it doesn't warp.
3. Don't forget and leave it out all winter.

· Registered
744 Posts
I use bass wood, CA glue and tightbond II. I also use pins for rivets where applicable. I paint and seal everything with matte finish after it is built. I don't have any problems running outside but I don't leave my stuff outside. I have run them in light rain with no problems but i never run in downpours. Most of my cars have simulated tar paper roofs and i use wet/dry (waterproof) sandpaper for that, paint them with exterior flat black paint and again seal them with matte finish. If they get real wet i wipe them down when i bring them in.
Terry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.