G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of wood is generally used for scratch building cars for outdoor use?  Midwest offers balsa, basswood, walnut, mahogany, cherry and spruce in stripwood, which is what i plan on using for alot of the construction.

I plan on bringing the cars inside when not in use, but they may be left out in the occassional rain or snow storm.

Thanks a Million,
Chris

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
For that kind of use, almost anything would do, except maybe balsa, as long as you:

1. Use a waterproof glue like titebond.
2. Finish BOTH sides of the wood so it doesn't warp.
3. Don't forget and leave it out all winter.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Definately do the first two things mentioned by Torby, waterproof glue and seal it up. That being said, mahogany and spruce will weather the best of what was mentioned.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I use bass wood, CA glue and tightbond II. I also use pins for rivets where applicable. I paint and seal everything with matte finish after it is built. I don't have any problems running outside but I don't leave my stuff outside. I have run them in light rain with no problems but i never run in downpours. Most of my cars have simulated tar paper roofs and i use wet/dry (waterproof) sandpaper for that, paint them with exterior flat black paint and again seal them with matte finish. If they get real wet i wipe them down when i bring them in.
Terry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts