G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LGB starter set engine model 20212. The engine will run at half throttle but when I go to full throttle the engine stops. The lights work fine at full throttle so I don't think I have any shorts. If I go back to half throttle the engine starts to move again. This engine has a lot of hours on it. Is this a motor issue?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lights work fine at half speed and then they go out when the motor stops at full speed.
The power supply is not tripping.
Wire connection to motor is terminal connections Green, Brown, Yellow, White. They are all connected to the correct posts. Brown with a Green are attached together and White with a Yellow are attached together.

· Registered
169 Posts
OK, now it has been stated the lights do NOT work at full speed. Most likely power. Is the starter set power supply being used and what is the VA rating? Some sets came with 7va supplies and another has a 2 piece setup but only 14 volts from a wall supply.

· Registered
169 Posts
Since that is a 1 amp supply, it most likely is the motor drawing too much current. This occurs in the motor when a piece of the armature shorts 2 adjacent pads together. At full speed the 24 volt supply will make the smoke unit draw more than 300ma (.3 amps). Now add light at at least 33ma plus motor usually less than 500ma but short in motor it will be over this esp at full power pack voltage. I test motors on my bench with a current meter and expect them to be less than 250ma for LGB. I also found that a smal lamount of oil on each end to lube the bearings will make the motor draw less current.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts