G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok we bought four hartland short passenger cars at york train show. We ran them tonight and two of them wobble back and forth quite a bit and derail at the switches and at other spots . None of our other cars do this. I did not have time tonight to try to fix the problem. Any ideas/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/plain.gif I will try and call hartland tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Pete,

Take 1 truck off & shorten the mounting post so that you can tighten the truck down so that it only swevils.. Leave the other truck so that it can swevil & tip up & down.. Hope this helps..

BulletBob

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i understand the shortening of the post but i don't understand why you leave the other post alone. I would think you would shorten both post. Not that i'am doubting you./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Pete,

You are making it like a trike, steady truck on 1 end & 1 that can go in all directions for the up & down & side to side changes in the rail.. Hope this helps..

BulletBob

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tomorrow iam going to the local hardware store to get some washers to put on the post that the trucks mount to. Iam hopeing that putting them on the post between the top of the truck and the bottom of the car will help. Does this sound like a good idea or a waste of time/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
A possible point to consider. The "3 point suspension" indeed kills wobble.

But it does reduce the compliance of the car to the rail. If you have somewhat irregular trackwork, you could experience more derailments, since you have one truck that cannot conform to the rails quite as well.

Consider carefully if your trackwork is in good enough condition would be my advice. Of course if you use washers to "tighten" up the truck, then you can go back to stock as opposed to making a change (shortening the post) that you cannot undo.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i thank everyone for their ideas and comments as it is getting late well late for me here in ohio i will sign off and let you know how things turn out tomorrow. Ya all have a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok i have added large washers to the hartland passenger cars and it seems that the wobble has stoped. I have not been able to run them on the track yet as it is raining but after incerting the washers and putting the cars on some track in the house it has reduced the wobble considerable.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Excue me...../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif Sorry....../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif Didn't mean to barge in here like this. I thought is was a thread on Earthquakes in the midwest /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif Sorry:D:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts