G Scale Model Train Forum banner

WLDS System Customers

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  topshed 
#1 ·
BF Industries would like to thank all of the WLDS customers who have sent Emails expressing their success and satisfaction in the use of the Water Level Detection System. Installations have been successfully made in all types of model trains and boats over the five year period.

Regretfully, at the conclusion of the present product inventory, there are no plans for further production runs of the WLDS system and associated products.
It has been my great pleasure to meet many of you personally and others by Email correspondence. I am continuing to be an active steamer of model trains and boats and look forward to seeing many of you at DH 2009 and other steamups.

Bill Ford

#2 ·
Very sad this is happening, as Bill Ford has engineered a revolutionary system that works very well! I, personally, have both systems; the water level detection, by itself, & the W.L.D. sys. with the water pump. I'm aware that a lot of the locos have axle pumps & hand pumps, especially the high end ones, but, the lower end ones don't & have to depend on good-all valves & pump bottles. Also I think we all know that the "sight glasses" are not all that accurate & get "air bubbles" from time to time! Jim Spanier

#3 ·
I Just talked to Bill, and ordered one of the WLDS systems with the built in "goodall" valve. This is the fourth system that I have bought, including one for my "Brooklyn" tug boat. What a difference it makes, not having to worry if I have water in the boiler, or a bubble giving a false reading! The marine application is probably the most rewarding, since you do not have to bring the boat in to shore each time that you want to check on the water level. The red or green LED may be seen for quite a distance from shore, putting your mind at ease. ( I'm not getting paid for this testimonial!) Good luck, Bill, and hope to see you at DH2009.
Alex

#10 ·
Winn - The basic problem is that as orders have dropped off, a new production run of the electronic system involves high initial setup costs, which may or may not be recovered in a reasonable time frame. Advertising options are very limited and much of it has resulted from word-of-mouth and observation of the many satisfied customers using the WLDS system.

The Electric Water Pump is very costly in metal machining and assembly and testing costs and is in fact an economic loss. Since no other pump was capable of delivering the required water output, I had to design one to meet the need. Its purpose was to be an additional product which would permit automatic maintaining of an adequate water level in the boiler so that the train or boat would not have to be stopped during its run. Visual sight of the color of the LED would assure that the system was performing its function.

So that even at a economic loss, it enhanced WLDS system sales and offered a completely automatic operation for those who wanted the utmost safety of their boiler.

Bill

#12 ·
Hi all,

Very sad to hear of the demise of the WLDS, I found it an invaluable addition to the cab of my Accucraft mogul. For some reason, that loco was produced with no gauge glass at all and no try cock (check valve) either. I soon discovered that despite the instructions saying that the gas is timed to run out before the water, I found it quite possible to run it dry - until the arrival of my WLDS. There will always be a place for such gadgets - at least until all locos are fitted with a reliable sight glass. Good luck to BF Industries in the future!

Martin 

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.