G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I use Winxp and firefox and when using the big editor (Add reply) the icons are all apparently operational, till I start to type.

Then the check spelling one (ABCand a tick) goes out, and cannot be used.

In quick reply if I mistype (quite a lot!) it underlines my mistakes it so I can put it right.

I cannot see anywhere to give me the fcacility ofd switching on or off any of the icons in the (large) editor.

There are a couple of dictionaries loaded on my computer in Firefox (US english & UK English), 

Any ideas please?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dwight,

Yes; done that and also in case it would help - it didn't I installed ispell in IE which I don't use.

I have also re-installed Firefox and it still does it!

2nd instalment - I have had my brothet try his firefox, with the same thing happening there; the abc(tick) icon illuminates briefly, then greys out; going via tools/options/advanced/general the tickbox 'check my spelling as I type is ticked.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted By SteveC on 01/14/2008 2:08 PM

Peter

Maybe the following will solve your spell-check problem with FireFox.

www.qando.net/details.aspx

Hi Steve, Thanks for your efforts but it is not compatible with Firefox 2.0.011, which is the present version - that is from attempting to download it! I tried and failed:mad:

Also the 'practice post ' reply: your comprehensive reply does not like working if firefox, I attempted that again with not the result (as the old forum style) I was looking for /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/plain.gif

In fact the 'quick reply box does not even display in Firefox at all! I attempted to get the photo ID the way you did but in the end had open a couple of windows to put back the ID for the photo.

The 'long winded' round this is to copy the topuc into word, then add the reply, then copy and dump it back into MLS/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/cry.gif

Not only that when I added each smiley the screen did a refresh by itself for no particular reason - thsi is in from taking your post, then clicking on quote and getting the main editor screen open, where this was typed. 

Then I checked it to see what typo's I had added!

I wonder if the developers (FCK?) have missed off some switches or not fully checked it out in Firefox as it seems to have some funny turns/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

Next addition; I have IE7 on my machine (not IE6 though) when I use the reply button in IE7 I can spell check it, but the doing the same in Firefox still greys out the abc(tick)  button on the editor.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Peter

Hey my friend, OK so I downloaded and installed FireFox v2.0.0.11 so I could better understand what you're encountering. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

What I've discovered is that the Auto-Spell check in FireFox is working, you just can't see it because of a mis-match between the editing scree portion of the FCKeditor and FireFox.

However, if you click the Source button so you can see the actual HTML code, you'll also see all of the mis-spells that FireFox's spell checker has under lined in red.

The bad news is I doubt that this is anything tha Shad is going to be able to correct. Ofcourse there's always the possibility that there is a way to modify FireFox's configuration too and I just don't know it just like I don't know FireFox. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

Another thing I just noticed happening in FireFox that I don't remember happening in MS/IE v6.0.2800, every time that I add one of the smilies to the text I'm accessing the MLS server and the editor screen is being refreshed. Interesting?????

Well just thought I'd let ya know what I've found out.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Dwight

Google's spellchecker is what FireFox uses as its native spellchecker. The reason that the full-text editor's spellcheck button is dimmed is because it's looking for IESpell but can't see it from within the FireFox browser window even if it's installed. The incompatibility comes in between the full-text editor and FireFox. If you switch to the Source view you'll see all the words that FireFox considers miss spelt underlined in red.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 01/15/2008 1:25 AM
So what you're saying Steve is it may be best to uninstall IESpell and stick with the Google spell checker if using Firefox, right?

Dwight

As a result of trying to understand Peter's problem, I downloaded and installed FireFox v2.0.0.11.

So currently on my system I've got...
O/S: MS/Win2K v5.00.2195 SP4
Browser:
[*]MS/Internet Explorer v6.0.2800 SP1 [*]FireFox v2.0.0.11 [/list]

Browser Plug-in:
[*]IESpell v2.5.1 [/list]

They all peacefully coexist so I don't see any reason to get rid of anything really. People just have to understand that...
[*]If they are using FireFox of a version newer than I believe 1.0, then the native spell-checker (i.e. GoogleSpell) will not work for them so long as they are in the HTML window of the current MLS full-text editor. Additionally, the Spell-Check button on the editors tool bar will be dimmed and not function. [*]If they switch modes in the full-text editor by clicking the Source button then they'll see the expected wavy-red underlining and the right-click context menu will function, but then they'll be having to wade through all the HTML coding and if by accident correct one of the tags who knows what kind of mess they'll wind up with. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif [*]If they only use FireFox, but don't have IESpell installed there's no sense in installing it, because even if they do and turn FireFox's spell-check off it won't resolve the problem. [*]If they are using some flavor of MS/Internet Explorer v5.5 or higher I believe then when the focus is in the MLS full-text editor text entry area the editors Spell-Check button will be active, If they have IESpell installed then clicking the button will perform a spell check, they can also do a spell check from either the IESpell button present on the browser's tool bar, or from the IESpell item on the browser's Tools menu. [*]If they're using MS/Internet Explorer as their browser, but don't currently have IESpell installed on their system, when they click the Spell-Check button on the editor's tool bar I believe they will be prompted regarding if they would like to install IESpell and provide a link to click to go to that web site. [/list]

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Steve,

THANK YOU!! you have seem to have found the 'glitch' in the forum codes - interestingly only affects the main editors page.

Your 'Fix' works as well. That red underline is what occurs in the quick reply when I mistype, thus the spell checker in Firefox 'kicks in' for that.

Thank you for your detective work on the system, and the fix.

Regular 'clicks' to the 'Source' will have to be programmed in to my brain!

You are correct re the re-drawing of the screen when 'smilies' are added - I noticed that, and still do not know why; I wondered what was going on when it first occurred!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts