G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The conversion is going well so I took it outside for a quick winter shot...just to see how it looks in the RR :cool:
It's a wee bit cold
for an open cab, but Abner is from Maine and is one tough hombre`

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Great looking loco! Is that 7/8's? Is this based on a prototype? Either way it looks different, I like it. The front pilot looks like a Shay, but rest of the loco looks like a Mikado? The tender looks long and sleek. The cab is pretty cool. Is it live steam?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you like it
It is 7/8ths but there still more to do on the conversion. Baldwin made 30" and 24" gauge Mikados for a couple of Mexican RRs back in 1903. The plans I have for the 30" version spec out wonderfully against this Accucraft ex-K28 (live steam)...... All the wheels are the right size, drivers included, wheel base is the same over all length, boiler OD is a wee bit bigger but boiler height above the rail is the same etc. I'd guess the 24" version was the same and that they just moved the wheels in on the axles to make it 24" gauge. I've freelanced this as If I found it in a barn in South America where it wound up after the Mexicans got done with it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
OH MY!!! Super Mario has robbed a train and was last seen chuffing his way to another castle!! ;-)

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you like it.
Too bad you don't realize these are toys. Why not have a drink
and relax.
Here's a couple of shots of another ridiculous 7/8ths conversion...a fine waste of an Accucraft shay too!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I like it too!

Might be worth pointing out that, in 7/8ths, the first step often involves fitting a larger cab plus figure, and then having some operating fun!

Later, at the modeler's leisure, other scale details are added or subtracted, and it slowly morphs into the finished 7/8ths product. All the while encouraged by others who appreciate two-footers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts