G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday Cris and I took a little trip to the town of Julian, in the mountains east of here. While we were away it got pretty windy here.

I had an empty bucket sitting at the top of the stairs on the west end of the layout. The wind knocked the bucket down the stairs, then it careened into my plate girder bridge, wiping out half the catwalk along one side of the bridge.

Luckily the damage is mainly cosmetic, not structural. So it won't affect operations -- unless you're a scale person attempting to cross the bridge on foot.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I've had the Santa Ana winds actually blow my trestle out from under the track leaving the track dangling in air. Now I put bricks on the track on the trestles during off-season.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
In the summer time we get desert winds about 3 or 4 in the afternoon which are pretty strong. That is my all my bridges have to have sides on them or be a through truss bridge.

I was thinking of making a train parking area under the back porch. The winds even get under there and blow the rolling stock over.

Yes wind can be a factor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts