G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I added a small 4x5 foot oval to my layout to run a LGB Stainz and a Couple of cars on.

Will this power pack be OK to run this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Bachmann-Large-Scale-Power-Pack-w-Speed-Controller_W0QQitemZ220349234303QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains

It says not DCC compatible......hopefully meaning it's jsut not made for DCC, not that it will harm a DCC locomotive.

This is all i Will be running on this loop, So one amp should be enough right?

No smoke on this stainz, just lights.

Just don't want to spend more than Double for a LGB 1-amps transformer.

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
One amp will run a Stainz or other single motorblock LGB model.

I checked my 2008 Bachmann catalog, they do not list a top voltage output. LGB's is 18V, but then you have a warpspeed Stainz.

So if Bachmann only has a top output of 12-14V, then you will be just a bit slower.

Might be a good alternative to the LGB set pack, especially with what used ones are selling for now!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

I just want to make sure. I found that the Bachmann is about my only other choice since i can't really use anything AristoCraft becasue of PWC. This one is probably as close to the LGB 1 amp transformer as i'll get

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Posted By RRT114 on 02/21/2009 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I just want to make sure. I found that the Bachmann is about my only other choice since i can't really use anything AristoCraft becasue of PWC. This one is probably as close to the LGB 1 amp transformer as i'll get

Thanks,

Ryan

I run my 2017D and my daughter's Stainz with a Crest (Aristo) controller all the time, and have NO problems. These are older ones without sound or DCC, (Did they ever even make one with MTS?)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an Aristocraft Ultima and I use the Aristo 5401 Controllers. So i can use PWC on LGB equipment? I do not have sound in any of my locos, But does it harm anything concerning DCC? I don't use DCC, but If i resell them, I'd rather them be Dcc ok...or however that goes.

All i have read is that PWC should be avoided with LGB, so I always had to have an LGB supply laying around for LGB stuff.

Ugh. Confusion sets in

So say in the future I get a LGB mallet, no sound, Will that be ok with PWC?

What about the newer LGB 2-4-0 starter locos?

Thanks Guys!

Ryan

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Pulse power can be of benefit to cheaper 3 and 5 pole motors at lower RPM but of little benefit to 7pole motors.

Some say (to quote Jermey Clarkson) that LGB motors run better on filtered DC to remove any and all pulse. Not sure if this is true or not, but it is the case on my Faulhaber motors in some of my H0e stock.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
LGB started the rumor about not running there locos with pwc powerpacks ... ( i think so they could sell more power pacs )

they said that it would destroy the motors ......

MRC got mad did some tests and told LGB to prove it or stop stating it was bad ..... mrc power pacs are pwc

lgb desided to just stop telling people that pwc was bad

I laffed at the whole thing becouse with lgb MTS it is running pwc to the motor so lgb was trying to say it was bad for the motor but did it with there own system ....

I have run a whole lot of lgb locos with and without dcc using the mrc power pac which is also pwc .... never had any proplems with making the loco go

that being said I have seen where some sound systems that are dcc with act a little erratic becouse it see's the pwc as a dcc signal and trys to run from it ....

I have never seen this hurt a loco as the dcc when run into the board a first is a lot like pwc ...it just messes up the chuff and sound triggers while being run on pwc

·
Registered
301 Posts
I tried a very old MRC 1 amp pack and a Stainz: It worked fine. If you add another engine or lighted cars the circuit breaker tended to pop.

Anyone know if pulse modulation makes the LGB can motor run hotter?

cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got a 2010 Stainz in a starter set in 1984, and ran it on an HO MRC power pack until 1995. No problem!! Note that the engine did not have smoke or sound. And it still runs just like it was brand new!!! It's 25 years old now. LGB was good stuff, for sure.
SandyR

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it would be safe to use the 5401 Aristo controller with the Ultima Power supply on LGB equipment, even if they have the DCC equipment installed, as some of the newer ones do?

Thanks!

Ryan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts