G Scale Model Train Forum banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
it looks like a MTH coupler size and shape look good very close to a kadee... im glad this thread made them change what they were doing,, so now they will probably sell well on there cars as long as they match a kaydee hight guage... i have a 2 bay hopper and its still off by 80 thousands of an inch i had to shim to the rite hieght...
Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
There seems to be a blue button on the side of the coupler. This is either a coupler release mechanism or perhaps part of a new caterpillar drive system for the Red October. Time will tell.

Also there seems to be a pivot next to the shank which might help in side to side motion.

Shark

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
you have to be a member of the aristo forum to see the picture so some of us are in the dark ............

I cannot believe greg made me sign up to aristo's website.......

·
Registered
514 Posts
It is good to see the pics, here and there, of the new Kuppler. Believe it, or not, it looks more or less as I imagined it would despite all the different suppositions and smoke screens which of course now be put to rest.

I feel that it will be ideal for my purposes and once it becomes available over here I will commence replacing all my Bachmann couplers (which look fine but can be weak) with this new version.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
OK, looks like the first one out of the gate with their Kadee wannabe is Aristo-craft...
Wonder how long it'll be before USA, B-man, LGB, and whoever else wants to play
has their Kadee clones and look-a-likes on the market??? hehe One thing thats
kind of interesting though, the coupler shown on the right in the pic is without doubt
an 830 Kadee, and the Aristo offering obviously matches it quite well in size... I have
to wonder why Aristo, the big promoter and driving force behind the 1/29 scale since
day 1, would build a coupler that wasn't 1/29 scale at this point in the game ???
I guess if this offering by Aristo gets all the mfgrs headed in the right direction it'll be
a good thing however... Think I'll be sticking with my 820s though... hehe
Paul R...

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
GEE

IF it is the same size as a Kadee 830 "G", then you are right, it is NOT 1:29 scale... It is still TOO BIG for scale. the Kadee 820 #1 is TOO BIG for 1:32, and much closer to 1:29. But that raises the old bugaboo of having to have very well maintained track, which is often a PITA if you don't have a VERY rigid base for the track.

NOT to worry. Very few model scales use properly sized couplers, except for the PROTO (pick a ratio) guys, PROTO87, PROTO48, PROTO32, blah, blah, blah. IF it looks reasonable, works well, has a good price... that's enough.

·
Super Modulator
20,526 Posts
I fixed the picture, sorry! For some reason, even though I am banned, I can still see the picture.

That will have Aristo working day and night!

ha ha ha...

Greg

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Greg

Having now seen the Kuppler... Guess what, looks a lot like an old cast Lionel O gauge (certainly not scale) coupler. That reminds me... On the two cars I use for interconnecting my O scale (2 rail) freight cars with Kadee 804 O scale couplers to "regular" Lionel and MTH, I have Kadee O scale on one end and a Kadee #1 820 body mount on the other. The 820 couples just fine to Lionel or MTH coupler on the tender of the O scale loco. I think three things will ultimately make or break this product (the usual ones) price, performance and reliability, and ease of mounting to rolling stock and locomotives.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
I would think we can assume they'd mount quite easily on Aristo's stuff, but how well they play with other brands will certainly be interesting to see. It doesn't look quite as good as Accucraft's 1:32 coupler, at least not in that photo, and the Accucraft coupler has the advantage of fitting in a stock #820 draft gear. Of course, Accucraft's 1:32 coupler still isn't available separately, so...

I'm a bit perplexed about that blue patch on the side. I hope that's a pre-production thing. I can't say I've seen an exhaustive amount of couplers in my life, but I've yet to see one with a big blue square on it. (Okay, I've yet to see one with a coil spring on the side, too.)

Later,

K

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I think polk was quoted as saying these will fit a 830 bolt pattern when they are released, so this will limit them BUT as most of usa trains cars come with a pad for 830's could get interesting. i might buy a few of aristo new modern 50 ft box cars, and if these are on it, and aristo goes all the way and accually puts the coupler so it will match the kadee hieght gage i will probably leave them on the car in lou of kadees but i dont think i would use them on a day to day bais unless they cane mounted on one of there cars...time will tell. Nick

161 - 172 of 172 Posts