G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Dull?... Dull!... DULL?!?!?!?!?

If they were all the same, just think of the energy we could devote to the battery/track power debate!

And when that is settled... the Scale Wars could really get down to business.

·
Registered
514 Posts
One line of thought I don't think has been mentioned: that is a great many LScalers have not retro-fitted Kaydee couplers due to the high cost involved, especially if you have a reasonable amount of rolling stock.

The new coupler (Kuppler) might just be the one that many decide to change to where they have more than one type of rolling stock on their railroad. especially if the price is competitive.

From what I see, and Charles (S.V) mentioned it, is that no manufacturer so far seems to have made their couplers compatible with anyone else's. So why is Aristo expected to do so. I don't think that the current Aristo coupler has issues for most folk; it seems an issue only for those running long consists. I have certainly have not had any issues whereas Bachmann couplers, whilst appearing more prototypical, do tend to show a weakness from time to time.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 11/15/2008 6:51 PM
I always thought "A/C" stood for "Air Conditioning"!

Or Alternating Current?????????hee hee hee The Regal

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By aceinspp on 11/17/2008 4:30 PM
Gee now I know why I moved out of IA. HeHe A/C yikes. Later RJD

Ya gotta understand... EVERYBODY makes us Hawkeyes happy... some by arriving and some by leaving.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Dave ,,,Dave,,, Dave ?????

You never stop do ya...

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Aristocraft announced plans for a new KUPPLER. I believe this is how the Aristo site spelled the name if you want to search for it.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Yes that's how it was spelled but they have not really posted any pics or more info. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Posted By pfdx on 11/17/2008 6:17 PM
Maybe they got these guys to make a large scale coupler.

http://www.sergentengineering.com/

On second thoughts, they may be too prototypical.

These are darn good couplers! I use them exclusively on my HO scale layout. I've often wondered why something similar wasn't available in larger scales. I find it amusing that the two biggest complaints about them are the lack of centering springs and remote uncoupling - neither of which have anything to do with prototypical operations!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, I'd have made a new coupler KD compatible. I'd want my coupler to be the most popular, none of the big 3 makes of included knuckles work totally hassle free with KD. KD don't make G cars so making a coupler that is KD compatible doesn't encourage you to buy another make car. If it was KD compatible then Aristo cars would be the only make where KD users didn't automatically swap for KD. KD compatibilty would have been an improvement not a sign of weakness.

Also, I bet if the new coupler had been more KD-friendly then chances are it would also have been friendly toward the old Aristo knuckle, so the transition of Aristo couplers old to new would have been less stressful for Aristo fans.

Coming apart under stress was only part of the problem. Why not negate the primary reason why Aristo knuckles are removed - to fit KDs, by making them work smoothly with them out of the box.

[sigh]

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Did they explain what they mean by "not compatible"? Does that just mean they won't uncouple using the magnet between the rails, or that they won't even grasp each other? The latter would be a catastrophy to most folk, but the former would not be a big deal except for those that do remote control Switching Operations.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Charles: No picture no other information from Aristo. Seems to be designed for tight curves, but to do that with a body mount will be very interesting.

You cannot use the magnet if you have a Kadee coupled to an Aristo, I know.

Craig: Of course you must be kidding! For those who did not follow his link: a pair of couplers not assembled for $15.60? Don't think they will take over the replacement market, and they do not remotely uncouple, and also being all metal, they will require periodic maintenance like oiling. They look nice, but most people want some extra features over the stock couplers, and these are twice the price of Kadees.

The discussion here is a NEW coupler from Aristo that is apparently not very compatible wiith the rest of the world, and we all want to know why it's being made.

Well, Lewis should post a picture soon.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Holey Batman. Another expensive coupler. I think I'll save my money for buying other things. Later RJD

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Greg,
My point was that it was just one more offering in the wonderful world of model trains! Why should one coupler from Aristo get more attention, then a scale offering? The question becomes does the market want realistic trains (and couplers) or is the market all about sitting back and letting trains go around in circles and complaining when they don't work right. It seems to me that Aristo is just trying to gain market attention, which they are doing a good job. It seems to me that Aristo is trying to please both the toy train crowd with a coupler designed for tight curves, but also wants to please the model train crowd with a 'realistic' coupler that is body mounted. I'll let the market decide, meanwhile I'll be in my garage building trains, instead of arguing over the lastest announcement from a company and wondering when the market will actually see the new product.
Kadee's are nice, but they aren't that realistic in my mind. As a rail I know that automatic couplers are not automatic and require manual labor to a line the couplers, pull pins, etc. What I want to see in the large scale market is a scale coupler that looks and works like the real thing.
Craig

21 - 40 of 172 Posts