G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'QUOTE'
Dear All,

We are hard at work at a new body mount "Kuppler" that is different than the rest. It is not a Kadee compatible coupler, but has super pulling strength and can manuever 5' diameter curves.It's original thinking and I hope it will find a place on your railroad. Obviously, you will need transition cars if you want to use our coupler along with others, but we will include it on our new 50' PS 5277 box car.

When I have a finished version I will picture it here, but it may be serveral weeks more.

All the best,

Now why would they put all the effert into making a body mount coupler and making it in such a way that the most widely used body mount coupler a kadee wouldnt work with it.......you know all we ever hear is tell a freind, buy a train. move garden trains to the front of the list let eveyone know about our hobby and how compatable it is with other manufactures products....
this is a bad move but no surprise their......... so much for moving the hobby forward ...dumb, dumb,dumb. just when i thought they were finally gettin it , they go and do something like this......... my opionion of course...why would i want a transition cars for body mount kupplers, i dont... if your going to make body mount couplers make them so the others will mate up and then us as the customers dont have to spend a lot of $ to make it work....with everyone elses stuff.......

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Are you indicating the answer to the good question is: "A/C"?

Then I have another question that has been bugging me for quite a while...

WHO is "A/C"? Accucraft or Aristocraft? (Or some other manufacturer?)

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
To answer your original question... I don't have experience with any manufacturer's couplers except the hoop and spear that came with the MDC Roundhouse cars I have (and replaced with "O" scale knuckle couplers) and the couplers that came on my Aster Mikes (which are near identical to the "O" scale one I put on my cars) so I can only surmise the following:

From the questions on this forum along the lines of "Can brand X couplers mate with brand Y?" and statements like "I always replace all the couplers with 'Kadee' ones." I gather that no manufacturers couplers are compatible with any other maufacturer's couplers, so one more incompatible coupler is no different than the status quo.

This then brings up the question of why is one manufacturer changing their coupler? Well, Capitolism says you want to corner the market so you can make more money than your competitors. If this new coupler is "better" than their own old one and the competitors (and Kadee) then everyone will beat a path to their door and they will make money.

It is the customer that gets to decide if it is actually "better" and they vote about that with their dollars.

If the cost of the cars they come on goes down that will make a difference, just like if it makes the cost go up.

If the coupler never opens at unwanted times, that will make it "better" to most people. If it will open by the user just thinking "I want that one over there to uncouple" then the price could go up considerably and people would still buy them because they are "better" than the ones that don't have that feature.

Time (and customers) will determine if their "why" is a good reason.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
"Because they can".

Let's look at this another way.
Bachmann, Lionel, Delton (and Delton Classics), USA, and lgb with Lionel couplers simply screwed to the tang are all the same height and all couple together.

The only "odd man out" with knuckles really is A-C.

If they are going to build an all-new coupler, why not make is as totally incompatible with everyone else as they are now?

Gotta be consistent.

Next thing you know, some manufacturer will listen to some "ex-spurt" who is pushing all new wheel and track stanbdards and we'll have trains that won't run anywhere else but on the home layout with "special" track.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
The "Kuppler" seems to be truck mounted, not body mounted, but maybe that's what it will be.

Lewis said it will work on sharper curves (why needed for truck mounts?) so maybe it will be a super flexible body mount?

Lewis also said it will have "super pulling strength", I guess in response to the problem with Aristo couplers pulling apart in long trains.

I do know that I can hook Kadees to Aristos OK, not great, but OK. I did not see any weird coupler height problem with Aristo truck mounts, their body mounts are all wrong though.

Well, we will see, it may be the last product Lewis gets out of China before the turmoil of the purchase of Sanda Kan sinks in.

Regards, Greg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 11/15/2008 1:01 PM
The "Kuppler" seems to be truck mounted, not body mounted, but maybe that's what it will be.

Lewis said it will work on sharper curves (why needed for truck mounts?) so maybe it will be a super flexible body mount?

Lewis also said it will have "super pulling strength", I guess in response to the problem with Aristo couplers pulling apart in long trains.

I do know that I can hook Kadees to Aristos OK, not great, but OK. I did not see any weird coupler height problem with Aristo truck mounts, their body mounts are all wrong though.

Well, we will see, it may be the last product Lewis gets out of China before the turmoil of the purchase of Sanda Kan sinks in.

Regards, Greg

QUOTE We are hard at work at a new body mount "Kuppler" that is different than the rest. It is not a Kadee compatible coupler,

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Yep, just saw I missed it.... he did say body mount.

Jeeze Nick, you could cut me some slack! (not that I deserve it at all).....

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
33 Posts
So, you want some real conspiracy theory?

Somebody looko up the patent for this new gem. Look for any familiar names. Then watch for a big push to get all the other manufacturers to use this particular coupler instead of what they're already using (maybe by someone going outside the chain of command to directly convince Kader, who now owns all the manufacturies, that they really only need to build one kind of "Large Scale" coupler.) And watch for a helpful, but secret "Working Group" to study the new coupler and recommend that it become the NMRA standard for "large scale" trains (ie everything bigger than 1:48 and smaller than 1:13.5)

But, then, that's ridiculous. Something like that would never REALLY happen, right?

Richard C.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Posted By lownote on 11/15/2008 3:23 PM
If it did happen, and the coupler they settled on worked well and looked good, I'd be delighted

Really?
Were you happy with the 27MC T/E?
Were you happy when they discontinued it and made it 75MC?
Are you happy they've dropped the 75MC for the 2.4GC unit?

I would be willing to bet you'd like "proper" gauge, too, even if it meant........wait for it......replacing all your track, trucks, wheelsets, power blocks, turnouts?

1.950" gauge?

Okay.

What didn't you like about the old coupler?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Hard to believe it could "look good" and not be compatible with Kadee, this sounds like one more thing to divide the hobby into different camps. I don't think people who have invested in Kadee as I have are going to start using something that is not compatible. Will it even be close to scale?

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Well, if it is a body mount, and it looks good, and it is strong and works down to 2.5' radius, it will be made of unobtanium on the planet Krypton.

The compromises needed to work on that tight a radius would seem to preclude a prototypical appearance.

We will see soon... wonder why no picture yet?

Regards, Greg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heres my point,I didnt start this thread to fight with each other i just dont understand why this company always goes 75% of the way and then stops.it doesnt make ant sence to me why you would mke a new body mount coupler and not have it work with a kadee. maybe im wrong but i would think 99.9% of people with body mount couplers use kadees. so it would be an insentive for a company if they were going to make a new car with a body mount coupler to have it work with a kadee!!!! if it worked well with my equipment then i would not have to kadee it and save myself a little $ then i might buy more cars because i would not have to change the coupler and it would work with all my other cars........ maybe my thinking is wrong but i can tell you this...in my opionion they are going down the wrong road ,and if it cost more to make a car work with existing rolling stock chances are they wont be selling many. also time are getting tough and people are cutting WAY back on what they spend,so this is another reasson to give better value rite now and stop doing stupid stuff...also i can tell you if they were going to bet the farm on a new coupler that would be better than a kadee, that would be wrong cause i and im pretty sure most who have them wouldnt take them off for an aristocraft body coupler..or anyone elses...........that didnt work with a kadee
Nick

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Nick,
Well add me to the list! Many who have changed to large scale from"ho" have had excellant luck with Kadee in HO. That is why I went with Kadee when I switched to large scale. I have never understood why manufacturers build things not compatable with what we already have. I have a fair amount invested in Kadee now, I'm not switching now. Even if this coupler could "pull the walls down", I'm not switching! It's like the "super sockett", go ahead make something that alot of us can't use! I'll end up cutting it out when it arrives. Well looks like if I buy a car or loco with this "super coupler" on it I'll be cutting it out also.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks for the post Nick. I didn't realize they were working on a new body mounted coupler.

Well I don't think I need to add anything to this discussion but I can't believe they aren't going to be Kadee compatible, but oh well. lol In general it's good folks will have an out of the box solution for body mounts which I assume will be included in every car and engine you buy of theirs....

I'm like Todd, I used Kadees when I was in HO scale and loved them and after seeing they were made for Largescale I knew that's what I wanted to go with. Never regretted my decision.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Well lets just say that thank goodness not everybody likes the same thing. If we all went to one type of coupler this would be a dull hobby. Later RJD

1 - 20 of 172 Posts