G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I remember those ads Greg, way back when I first got into LGB, pre internet days. They had a poster of that on the wall down at Watts train shop in Zionsville back then.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Watts fell victim to the old addage of having all of ones eggs in one basket. They were tied to LGB and when the old Lehmann owned LGB went belly up, combined with the big recession of 2008 and some local zoning issues as Zionsville expanded around the family Christmas tree farm, it took Watts down. They never stocked Aristo, Bachmann or Hartland to any depth, just tons of LGB and high end Christmas decorations. It was a magical store back in the day. I am thankful to have been blessed to have see it in person on a regular basis. Ridge Road Station and St Aubins are a couple other big ones that are no longer around. Watts had some much LGB around, the whole train store had that "smell" you get when you open a brand new LGB engine box. Watts was getting the trains direct from LGB by the container full, a direct pipeline to Germany. The other side was all holiday decorations and it had those magical smells. Back in the pre internet days, there was a side room off the main show room that had 3 to 4 ladies constantly on the phone taking orders. An old school "boiler room" as they called those call centers back then. While I bought very little that was brand new, back then LGB was much more expensive and my income was much lower. Dave hooked me up with good second hand items that were not really suitable to go to the show room. He taught me how to fix them and gave me access to the shop and parts shelves to fix up my purchases.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ty sure all of my track is currently whatever the standard LGB-made stuff was back when this was all purchased in the late 80's/early 90's. Would I notice a difference if I decided to expand my layout with track from a different manufacturer (assuming same style and gauge of track, etc)? Is there a difference in build quality?
Unfortunately most folks don't know what manufacturers have done over the years. Marklin has changed nearly all LGB products. (I consider them Marklin today, as nobody from the original LGB is even around anymore... well, aside from one person who works for Piko.) The 80's-90's made LGB track you have is great. Don't get rid of it. However, today's Marklin made is VERY different. Made in a different country, made from different brass, made from much older tooling, made AFTER Marklin adjusted tooling to reduce their costs - which effects your longevity!
One not so little difference. The older Aristo ties went funny faster than LGB when left out year 'round. Probably due to thinner plastic and less UV stability. Don't know if they ever fixed this or not. As I haven't bought much new track in about 8 years
Aristo had a few batches of track that had no UV resistance built into them as well. I am sure that mistake is part of why they are no longer around. Ties turning to powder/dust is definitely not good!

Of the brands today, I don't see the quality standards on track that you would expect from any company aside from Piko - the "newer kids" on the block. (They have been making G track for what, 12 years now?) I know many folks who say brass is brass... but folks who know metal and look for longevity in their products will see the difference.

Of course, this is my opinion from everything I have seen and know about brass and track. Some folks will always disagree, and of course, this info is free in a chat board.

·
Super Modulator
21,152 Posts
Agreed, brass is not brass... have seen poor quality brass track actually crack. I would disagree that the bad ties were part of Aristo's demise, they would replace the ties if they went, and their track was still the best value around even after the price hike, and for stainless, well, no one could touch that price, except AML briefly. Aristo did not change with the times in terms of order quantities and product direction.

I agree LGB has changed, really a lot by the changes in their DCC stuff, the Marklin MFX decoders are a nightmare.

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Several years ago I bought a complete layout, 1000 feet of track, engines, cars and houses. I sold the 1000 feet of track for $1000 US. Not all of us sellers price gouge. I know I could have got more $$ but I can tell you I did make a few $$ on the sale of all the pieces I sold and I did keep several items for myself.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Ebay or put a wanted post in the classified area of the site here. Just specify what brands(eras) of track your willing to buy second hand. I still have a slug of good used LGB sectional track that I refuse to let go off as it comes from the Lehmann era of LGB, ie the good stuff. Its sad what Marklin has done to the LGB line, much higher prices and less quality IMHO. Its what happens when bean counters instead of model train buffs run a country. Sometimes its for the best, not always for the end consumer.

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
Where is the best place to find used track? I don't know if it matters but I only plan to use live steam.
The Facebook "G scale Swap & Shop" group has 10,000 members and a lot of buying and selling. Track shows up frequently, both used/dirty and 'brand new in box'.

·
Super Modulator
21,152 Posts
Well, at least you are consistent! :D I was pointing out that the question was last asked 11 years ago, so why did you reply when no one was asking? Just curious for a post out of the blue 11 years later.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts