G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled out my LGB trains again this year, and as usual, it's sparked yet another resurgence in interest. I hopped on ebay to see what was available, and I was surprised to see that "real" LGB track seems to be going for a lot more money than other brands of G-scale track. Why is this? Is there anything about it that makes it tangibly better than compatible track made by other companies? Or is it just a matter of the original track being rare, and people want it because it's scarce and original?

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Typically people that like LGB products are willing to pay more for their items than hobbyist who purchase other brands.

·
Registered
87 Posts
"Or is it just a matter of the original track being rare, and people want it because it's scarce and original?"

Remember, track is made of brass, and metals are way up in cost now. New LGB can still be purchased. In fact I just bough some made my Marklin who now owns LGB and has continued the track line. I found it just as good to buy new over used, for about the same money.

Hope that helps. Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
eBay is not a good place to buy track.

I have had better luck with secondhand hobby dealers and Craigslist. From those two sources, I was paying under $2 a foot for LGB even last year.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
You can still get deals on LGB track on ebay if you are paying attention but mostly it is the fact that most people still think LGB is out of business. I visit ebay every day and buy LGB track when it is reasonably priced. Some of the track on ebay has been there for over a year. The person listing is just stuborn and won't lower his price. Decide what you want, what you are willing to pay for it, how much reasonable shipping should be, bid and don't go over your max bid. Wait for the next sale if you have to.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
On Ebay Sellers will vary from Night to Day on pricing!! It does because they want to and can charge whatever they want!! You just have to wait and watch until you find the deal you can or can't live without!! If you miss one just wait a day and another will be up for bid again!! Whatever the market will bear! Some sellers start high and then start to lower the price after they see no one is biting! Its like fishing eh??????????? Regal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm pretty sure all of my track is currently whatever the standard LGB-made stuff was back when this was all purchased in the late 80's/early 90's. Would I notice a difference if I decided to expand my layout with track from a different manufacturer (assuming same style and gauge of track, etc)? Is there a difference in build quality?

Also, is there anywhere to buy just the brass rails themselves? I'm thinking it might be cheaper to buy that way... and also easier to store and still have design flexibility when I finally get around to laying everything out.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
LGB/USA/Aristocraft/AMS track are all interchangeable, as far as just the brass rails themselves there are several dealers out there that sell just that, and there is a couple on Evil Bay also if you watch!! Regal

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
One not so little difference. The older Aristo ties went funny faster than LGB when left out year 'round. Probably due to thinner plastic and less UV stability. Don't know if they ever fixed this or not. As I haven't bought much new track in about 8 years

As for mixing LGB with the other brands... the only problem is a slightly different profile on the foot of the rail, so you might have to 'finesse' (aka shove hard) to connect using the factory rail joiners... or buy clamps.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
And do not forget one of our forum sponsors, Train-Li has code 332 track, switches and now plastic display track available.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
My railway has on it a mix of LGB, Aristo Euro, TrainLine45 (Train Li) and soon (the dirt is down) AMS, all European ties and code 332 rail. Piko will be added if the long promised R1 Wye is ever produced.

There are a few LGB rail joiners still on the line, as Mik points out, they do take a little shove when mixing Aristo and LGB track together. The Aristocaft joiners on my track all split at their folds in about three or so years time. Everything (including the remaining LGB joiners come spring) on the railway has been replaced with clamps.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Try your local garden rr club. They usually have used track at about one third the cost of new LGB!

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
The LGB line has the reputation for reliability and quality. I have a couple and the only issue I ever had is the traction tires drying out, which is to be expected after 20+ years. I just learned an acquaintance father passed and they found a treasure trove of New in Box of LGB locomotives, no one knew he had them squirted away.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Kresua, or anyone else interested: I called the person with the LGB products and he is going to make a list with name and part numbers to sell them. When he does I'll PM you with his Email address and you deal directly.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
LGB track has held up the best out of several brands I have used on my outdoor set up. The bulk of my LGB track is going on 20 years of outdoor use, From 100'F with 100% humidity summers to -40'F windchill winter days with ice and snow. The plastic ties are still in excellent shape. Now all of my LGB track date to the Lehmann era and not the current Marklin ownership era. So I cannot comment on the current track. But I will not hesitate to buy older second hand LGB track when I need it. Piko is the only other brand I am using as LGB did not offer the 10' diameter curves I needed. You get what you pay for in G scale track.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts