G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best reason to buy Accucraft is their service. When you buy a product you exspect it not to have any problems, we all know that that is wishful thinking. How ever with Accucraft if there is a problem they listen to you and take care of it. I have nothing but good luck with them and their service. Of course a lot of it has to do with Cliff, he is great when you have a problem, he listens to you and understands what you are talking about. Best of all when he says he will take care of it he does. I only wish that more business treated you the way Accucraft does. That is why I will continue to buy their products Bob

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Cliff is definately the man that gets things down! I have dealt with him by e-mail, phone AND in person. He is great.:D

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I also agree, Cliff is a definate asset to the company. His service and product knowledge is what keeps me comming back.
Nick Jr.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
There you go again Steve. Remember John is out of the hospital.
I guess soon i'll be an ASTER /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif like you. Hah.

Hello Art, I went back and took the negative ending off my post. It was uncalled for. It's one thing to be a self proclaimed "Aster Snob" :), and another to come off sounding like a jerk, and that's how I sounded. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just never found a reason to buy an Accucraft or there would be one in my collecton of locomotives. I suspect that if I ever do buy an Accucraft it will be because of 1) percevied quality, 2) looks, 3) observed performance. So far observed performance is a big stumbling block for me.
Steve and Art -- I hope this does not sound too negetive. It is just my personal thoughts on Accrucraft locomotives.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Service is def amazing. When I was building my kit, there were some pieces that didnt line up perfectly. Unfortunately, I have no tools and no machining ability, but they would just ship any parts I needed, no cost and no questions asked. I dont have wheel barrows full of money to spend on steam engines, and in my view accucraft engines are definitely a great deal. Without their ruby kit, I would not be in this hobby.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Who else is making "affordable" steam engines?

Don

Roundhouse and ASTER have "affordable" engines. Check their prices. Not all ASTER engines cost the same as a Big Boy. The Roundhouse basic series are all reasonably priced are great runners and have outstanding quality.

Of course, like many things discussed in these threads, affordable is in the eye of the beholder.

However, I would call Accucraft cheap rather than affordable and say that from what I have seen you get what you pay for from either Roundhouse, ASTER, or Accucraft.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Why is it that you Aster fans have to jump into every thread about Accucraft and start putting them down? You didn't see the Accucraft guys jumping into the S2 threads and start bashing them for the ding in the pilot beam, threaded holes full of paint, the flattened tube leading to the water glass, the axel pump with problems, etc.

The seemingly incessant need to turn every thread into an Accucraft vs. Aster thread is starting to get old. The fact that there are literally thousands of Accucraft locomotives happily running all over the world says more about that company and their product than does the always negative commentary of a few Aster fans. Does Accucraft have their problems? Sure they do! Does Aster have their problems? Sure they do!

Buy and run what you like and have the courtesy to allow others to do the same.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I don't have any Accucraft engines...yet. I will when the make a big boy. I think the rolling stock is great. I will agree with Dwight. People take this stuff too seriously.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
The ORIGINAL pretext of this thread was Cliff Luscher's great support to his customers and Accucraft's service, NOT Aster vs. Accucraft products. Come on guys, read the damn threads before turning this into another bash one over the other. Geez./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Dwight,
I think you have voiced what many of us think about the continual manufacturer bashing. I know that lots other subscribers feel the same way. No manufacturer is perfect including Aster, Roundhouse, Marklin, Accucraft et al. But most try hard and offer very good after sales service.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
The plain and simple fact is that we all buy what we want to buy.

When I wanted a Gauge 1 live-steam Br01 there was only one game in town - Aster.

When I wanted a Gauge 1 live-steam S3/6 there was only one game in town - Maerklin.

When I wanted an Fn30 scale three-cylinder Mich-Cal Shay....Accucraft was all there was, and I've been very happy with it.

Same for when I got a mad urge for a BIG NG Sarth Efrican Garratt..Accucraft or nothing.

...and then Accucraft announced the CPR Royal Hudson - nobody else has EVER built one.

One of them is heading my way.

Me, I love 'em all...

Aster versus Accucraft is a record that doesn't get played in our house.

tac

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Dont't get upset by what someone has said in the thread about Accucraft. He realized after he posted that he might have gotten carried away with the moment. I know the guy and he is well intentioned. He has Accucraft runnning at his place all the time and has nothing but praise for them when they are running there. Think he likes to prod {sic} sometimes to get some fever in the thread. He did't ask me to say these things but let's drop the comparison and have fun running steam.
As Jerry Barnes says " Life is too short to take seriously".

·
Registered
233 Posts
Okay Dwight,

No more posts from me. I thought this site was to pass on ideas and thoughts and to stimulate discussion.

I guess not.

Bye Bye.

Dave Young

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I must admit that I have noticeed the tolerances on parts have gotten worst from my first Accucraft loco to my recent. Started with a IDA from the first batch. Very little slop on the rods and bushings, not so good on my recent 4-4-0 or K28. They produce a great looking loco but are taking shortcuts on the building and engineering. I just cant understand why. Id expect for a 4,500 loco that the axle box bushings would be a tighter fit not as loose as I have and is the case for many other of the same locos. My 4-4-0 had a horrible clicking sound from both the main and drive rods because there is a very oversize bushing on the bolts. Now since these are built on a CNC as I am told why would the tolerances be so far off and why would the crosshead guides be hand filed on all angles to fit into a slot that no longer even touches the guides???

Cliff is really a big help with repairs but why should there be so many repairs on a mass production loco that has a prototype and QC.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought an Accucraft WD Baldwin here in the UK because no one else made one at a reasonable price. Unfortunately I got a loco that was not "fit for purpose". Had so many problems and faults it was not of a quality that should have been allowed for sale. And mine was not the only one. A supplier I talked to had to repair 43 of the 46 loco`s he received. Mine was in a box and packing that had not been opened since it left China. No quality control or checking whatsoever in the UK. After it was damaaged in a derailment while testing I was in a mood to put a sledge hammer through it. I was eventually persuaded to return it for either repair or replacement. I was offered a refund first but then told I would get a new loco from the next, and last, batch. Six months later and with no communication from the manufacturer or supplier I had had enough. I asked for and received a full refund. Not exactly what I would call good back up service.
I still have one Accucraft UK loco. A heavily modified Excelsior that runs like a dream. Untill those eccentrics and piston valves start to wear. Then where will I get parts from. I feel sorry for Garratt owners. Last batch has been made. A couple of years down the road and they need spares !. Aster are willing to provide spares on a one of basis, are Accucraft ?.
Perhaps we need some one like Cliff here in the UK.
Dougie L

1 - 20 of 40 Posts