G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Tac,

I don't know why they are priced what they are priced at. Could be low demand, high cost of material or labor intensive to build. I don't know. But I do know this, if i looked at every single aspect and piece of railroading as affordable versus expensive I probably wouldn't do it at all. It varies from railroad to railroad, but think of the time and money many people invest in their road. Another $200 seems trivial in the big picture.

Nate

G

·
0 Posts
just make your own.
take the LGB connector type, fit it to the permanent railend, weld it there.
then cut directly in front of the railend throug the vertical sides of the connector. leaving the horizontal bottom intact.
bend the sides, that they are shaped like a "V". (the inner side not too high)
glue a small piece of wood of sleeper-height under the protubing part of the connector, that it can not bow downwards.
if you got two left hands, it might take you half an hour each. plus some cents for the connectors.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts

You're a modeler. Anything you don't want to buy, you make!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Tac,

I am very glad that price was lower than originally thought! I know how you feel though. I hate paying $80 for Li-On batteries. But what can ya do?

nate

·
Super Modulator
20,526 Posts
Go track power? ha ha ha !

You were wide open!

Anyway, the lift out "clamps" are $15 a pair from hillman/silvergate in brass, and $30 a pair in SS from split jaw, hillman/silvergate no longer offers them in nickle plate, but I do not recommend the nickle plate, I have gotten some corrosion on my nickle-plated wheel stops from hillman, and obviously there is no current going through them!

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
20,526 Posts
I believe "ha ha ha" is pretty much universal as joking, humor, etc.

If you don't get that, it's probably because you did not want to. (This was in reference to the $80 batteries, but what can you do)....

Anyway, after JOKING (making sure there is no misunderstanding), I did give some pertinent information on lift out clamps, which I believe was the subject of this thread.

I have to use them in about 4 locations myself, and I also need stainless, so I'm in a similar boat...

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Good info. Looks like I need to invest in 4 of the SS ones for my new addition that will have a lift out section. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
split-jaw clamps are more then just brass or a clamp as they have a spring loaded plunger that is ajustable so you just lift out the bridge ..... no unclamp first just lift and replace

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well you could consider N-scale tac, it is much cheaper.

·
Registered
401 Posts
In that case, get used to the prices ;-P G-scale isn't cheap, nor has it ever been.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts