G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My track cleaner works great except that the hollow axles that are CA'ed to the motor shafts can let go and slip under load.

In your experience, who makes the strongest CA that can hold a 2MM ID stainless steel tube to a 2MM OD motor shaft? The fit is fine with no excess slop when it spins.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Super Modulator
20,869 Posts
would it make any sense to use coarse sandpaper to make longitudinal scratches on the axles to give more room for the glue? A poor man's "knurling" so to speak.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The area is so small, probably not and may slim down the shaft such that the axle doesn't run true.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Todd,

I'd look at Loctite, green #648 Retaining Compound. There are other compounds in the 600 series too. Been using this stuff for years to retain bearings, bushings and such in the 1:1 scale world.

Michael

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Todd,

I'd look at Loctite, green #648 Retaining Compound. There are other compounds in the 600 series too. Been using this stuff for years to retain bearings, bushings and such in the 1:1 scale world.

Michael
This is promising, though expensive for 1 drop. My fear is that when I cement the tube to the shaft, I cement the end of the tube to the motor casing. There is no space for even a piece of tape to separate them and when you slide the tube on the shaft, you push the leading edge of the cement toward the casing.

With the fast setting CA, I can cement it in place and spin the other side of the shaft with my fingers, after a moment, for a moment, to keep this bond from "taking." And this does happen from the prior times I've done it. Green sets over a matter of a couple hours, so this could be a bit harder to do.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cleaned everything thouroughly and scraped the shaft with an exacto and am trying Titebond Ultra.

I used more this time and even put some into the shaft with a toothpick as well as on the shaft. As I feared, the excess squeezed forward and instantly wanted to bond the nut to the case making everything immobile, but I was able to grab both wheels simultaneously and rotate them to break this bond before it set up. Then I just rotated the other side until the CA set so that it couldn't adhere to the case.

I'll give it a day and we'll see tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts