G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good news about large scale is its "large" scale. The bad news is its "large" scale... Initially I dutifully packed and repacked the rolling stock according to the train I was making up, and then I got tired of that, so I've taken to leaving the cars unboxed (finding a place to put them is another discussion...), but I can't (yet) find it within me to throw out the boxes... I keeping thinking that I'll need them for ebaying, or maybe they'll have some collector value with their cartons, etc. So now, I have twice as much space devoted to rolling stock as originally... /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif I've flattened the cardboard for the aristo stuff and boxed up the foam inserts, but some, like the Bachmanns, are trays... Then there's the cartons for the locos (13, last count) might wanna ship those for repair or something sometime...

I don't have a garage, and my rec room is already full of all of my other hobbies and crap, and my yard is filling up with track and "garden" railway. Urrrgggggg!

So. Is there any real collector value to any of this stuff ( and I'm assuming if its been used, then, no, likely). Does the fact of carton mean anything to you when buying used? I'll admit, it prejudices my purchase sometimes, especially if I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. Then there was the bunch of rolling stock I picked up from an estate sale, all nicely boxed.... Would I have bought it otherwise? Would the estate have benefited more or less from having the stock cartoned?

(I just reread all this. Boy, I'm a mess. Hello, my name is Paul and, apparently, I'm a trainaholic and I need to get on with my life. LOL!)

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Paul,
Currently all the stuff I have with boxes in still in boxes. Since I've moved no less than 8 times since finally buying a house I plan on staying in a while having most things boxed has saved me a headache or two. I've bought stuff however without boxes and have no thoughts of trying to acquire (collector) boxes for that rolling stock. It's been boxed up to move but not in orginal boxes. I've not yet thought much about what I'll do with the boxes eventually. Some I'll likely keep such as loco boxes. I think the roling stock boxes will likely go away however. Some items will be modifed and will likely not ever fit back into the original boxes? Another thigns ot consider. Dedicating that much space to storage too is problematic. Effectively doubling the amount of space needed, some for the cars and locos and some for the boxes they came in. No easy solutions.

Chas

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
LGB boxes are kind of like Lionel O scale boxes...some people are silly enough to not only BUY them, but pay you adequately to SHIP them. Accucraft, and Aster boxes are the same.

Bachmann, Aristocraft and USA Trains boxes OTOH seem to be mostly landfill refugees.

There is a word that can be used to sum it up..."priorities". Are you more worried about what the stuff you have is worth after you're gone, or with having space for more toys? The original box is nice, but not the deciding factor when buying a used item, at least not for me. I buy trains to run, look at, and enjoy, I don't collect boxes.

Note: When I bought my new TV (because the old, and I mean OLD one died) I was reading the warantee card and it said for service you were supposed to send the thing in it's "original packaging" back to their service center in Kansas or someplace. Um, no thanks. -- First, the box for a 27" TV is big enough to sleep in. Second, shipping a huge heavy box of ANYTHING halfway across the country would be about half the price of another TV...soooo, after I verified that it worked, the box went "elsewhere". If it dies I'll see if the local guy can fix it. -- priorities

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Attic with mine or they have models in them in storage.

I have sold LGB boxes before (old shoebox style). I even had a mint 3019N LGB box (yellow) with the sales slip from when the model sold in the 1970s, but no model, paid $0.25 for it at a junk store. A few years later a mint (no box) 3019N turned up and a match was made.

G

·
I keep my boxes and store my trains in them when they are not out for running. I have a back room stacked full of empty and still full boxes of locos and rolling stock. Since I only typically run 1-3 different trains at a time, I switch them out over the summer between my coal, misc flat bed freight, boxcar/refer, tank, grain, and passenger trains.

In fact, I'm looking for some additional boxes for some rolling stock I bought used. If anyone has boxes for the Aristo grain hoppers they want to give away or sell. I'll take them. Also I need a box for the USA Trains F-3 Locomotive B unit (or the A unit box would work as well).

Ed

·
3,010 Posts
I try to keep as many boxes as I can find room for. When space runs out I start by discarding the boxes to the items that I think I am least likely to ever want to sell on eBay (if I ever want to or have to get out of this hobby.

Since Bachmann rolling stock costs the least, the Bachmann boxes are the first to go. This is on the basis that I don't think too many people would pay $15 to ship a $15 item. Also the old Bachmann boxes were such that I doubt I could ever repack something right in them.

When someone offers something on eBay including the box I am willing to pay more - not because of extra value but because I suspect that someone who kept the box probably took better care of what is being sold (based on a picture). Also a factory box (LGB and similar) is more likely to protect whatever I am buying during shipment to me. The alternative is to trust that the seller knows how to pack and takes the time to pack right and has the materials to pack right.

Additionally if I am no longer around when my "stuff" gets sold the boxes with the factory numbers are more likely to help someone find whatever belongs in the box and that it will then get sold properly identified.

Jerry

Posted By Skip on 04/25/2008 8:04 AM
Does the fact of carton mean anything to you when buying used?

G

·
put my train boxes up under the roof. after more than two decades took them down and dusted them off for moving.
there is a lot of space under the roof of the new house too.

if you got the space, keep them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The attic is a possible idea - once I throw out the boxes I remember being up there for stuff I no longer have.... Anybody collect National Geographics? I think I've got a few years from the 60s through the 70s up there too...

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I keep the boxes for my engines but EVERYTHING else goes to landfill/recycling/garbage. I used to keep magazines too but I got out of that habit by giving them to the local library.

Many years ago I had a weekend job at United Van Lines. I learned only one useful thing there. Toss out those National Geographics as soon as you get them. Do you know what a 25 year supply of those things weigh? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Since my trains are all stacked on shelves. I'm glad I had the boxes.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I am retired and will not move again, so I get rid of the boxes. My last move was to downsize and my wife made me get rid of anything not used for a while, including the boxes. I keep the cars on shelves and in cabinets in my shop where they are protected. When I take them to a meet, I wrap them in terrycloth towels and transport them in large plastic tubs. My locomotives are transported in carriers or padded plastic tool boxes, which are stored in an outside shed when not being used. Frankly, I never used the boxes when I had them and mostly sold or traded items without the boxes. My vote is to get rid of them.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I do as Dave just keep the boxes for engines. Just don't have the room. Besides my kid will have to worry about getting rid of my trains. "NOT ME".

·
Registered
71 Posts
We save all the boxes for our locomotives as well as cars. We built a loft in the Garage just for empty train boxes! Its a good idea to keep your locomotive boxes in case you have to send them back to the manufacturer for repair.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Bachmann Big Hauler range:

The red outer boxes will flat pack: I keep them in my garage roof space and keep the locos and rolling stock in the polystyrene packing trays that they came in.

Aristo-Craft:

The inner box containing the loco or stock is put into the outer (lid) leaving an open box which is ideal for storage and carrying.

All these, when not running, are kept in a lockable purpose built storage cupboard - which is now almost full. I have nearly 50 items of stock between the two ranges.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I'm with Jerry..that is I won't purchase any trains on eBay without the original box & packing materials. I save all boxes incl. the ones that the powerpacks & acc. come in. I'll probably rent a storage unit just for the boxes!! No way I can just throw out the boxes for the USA Hudson & Accucraft loco's. Biggest box will be the USAT Big Boy box!

Lionel boxes are big business in the O Gauge world..you never heard the story of somebody bidding around $3,500.00 for a empty Lionel box?? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I've moved the RR 3 times, I always save boxes and cases if possible. plus if you sale trains many folks like boxes. Attic with scrap lumber layed out right can store many a boxes.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts