G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
The Chief is pretty user friendly as well...

That being said, the difference is not just 2 amps. The Chief 8 amp unit will trip at 8 amps plus just a little. The NEC 10 amp booster will trip at just shy of 20 amps. There is a good side and a bad side to both.

The Chief is less likely to melt something down in a derailment. The NCE will run more trains before crashing. IF you use the NCE, be really careful to make sure that if you short your track anywhere, it will still trip. This means you need to use more copper when connecting the NCE to your track.

·
Registered
811 Posts
if you are planning on using a DCC system outside, you should get the radio version. More bucks, but more practical.

Don't know about NCE, but the Digitrax system can be upgraded to radio after the fact at nearly the same incremental cost as when purchased with the set.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I do it all the time. One handed without looking at the DT400R. it's not difficult at all, the knob for the loco I want will fall under my thumb depending on how I hold the throttle. Just flip it over to get to the other one.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If you want to restrict the short circuit current, use an external circuit breaker or autoreverser/circuit breaker. The DCC Specialties unit is programmable in 1.27 amp steps to 19.2 amps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.