G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my whistle for the Mikado all hooked up, thanks to several people. I found Mike in an old ad in SitG, who makes aperteur parts http://www.eastbranchtrains.com/bw-parts-fs01.html , per Larry Banghams designs that were published in Steam in the Garden.

Jim Spanier and I went together and Jim assembled them. Charles Bednarik got me a whistle valve, took awhile, Mike does them part time, so be patient if you want one from him. Weltyk's are the same type of whistle, just save a little doing your own.

Sounds just like the one on Bob's site: http://www.weltykswhistles.com/

Works with a finger right now. I was thinking about running a wire from the whistle valve over to the Mikado's throttle arm to activate it at full throttle setting, but not sure if the servo would take the extra load okay or not. Anyone have any idea on that?

Jerry

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Jerry,Please post a Video of it,would really like to hear it.Is it a single Chime or a dual Chime?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Jerry,
  I think that the throttle arm action on the Aristo Mike is too slow for a whistle valve.  You need a quicker response or may lose steam and pressure quickly.  I don't have one on my Mike yet, but would like to see some pictures of how you did it.  A video would be great also!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jerry, I'm sure one of the electrical gurus may know, but I'm wondering if there is some way to find out which circuit heats up on the PC in the tender when the whistle button is pushed on the control. Then figure if it could trigger a simple push/pull solinoid to operate the whistle? The solinoid could be powered by the onboard battery. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
 /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gifTHE STEAM THAT "BLOWS" THE WHISTLE, WILL NEVER PULL THE TRAIN./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jerry, I was snooping around inside the tender finding corrosion on the PC boards and thinking about your whistle. The circuit I would use to activate a solinoid is already in place. The lighting circuit. I would give up the headlight, which I never use, in a hot second for an R/C whistle!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Jerry,Please Post the Video so as all can hear Your talents.You did post Your Chuff enhancer with the Diesel real train going BY.We all would really Like to hear what You have done.And it is nice that Charles has Come Up with a steam valve for You .I did not know that they were so talented,and did not know that they were making Whistles.Thanks for the Info....

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Jerry, Just wondering.You ask me for drawings of the mike,i sent you pictures of the mike whistle,that you copied.well You said that you wanted to buy one of my whiistles as Norm Salley says :D/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Jerry< you ask me about the aristo mike whistle that i put on chuck VAN FLETEREN MOUNTAIN THAT I CHANGED From a mike to a mountain and put on a duel chime whistle.I sent You all the Picture of the Whistles and all the time I took to develope the weltyk whistle for the Mike ....WELL ENJOY ------Just post it soo all can see what you have MADE

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gee Bob,
  Not sure where you are coming from. I did contact you about a whistle, but could not afford it. Jim and I got together and I dug out all the SitG articles by Larry Bangham. I saw Mikes ad in one of the old magazines and contacted him. Jim put the pieces together, per Larry's design of a dual chime in one tube.  As you can see, it's not nearly as refined as yours, but I'm happy.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts