G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this info is already posted (I tried search but no luck /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/angry.gif). I want to try Kaydee couplers on some LGB, USA Trains and Great Trains cars and locs /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif. I'm hoping to close up the car gap a little bit as I don't use 4 foot R1 diameter curves. Can someone reference earlier posts, tell me how to search, or express their ideas. Most grateful, thanks!

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Jim, I use KaDee #820's on most of my freight cars:

Notching the coupler box also provides additional swing if needed:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
831's will screw right on to the trucks, but you will still have a big gap. 789's are body mount and will work on 4 foot radius curves with no modifications.

·
Super Modulator
21,214 Posts
First suggestion, decide if you are using the G scale ones or the #1 scale ones. I prefer the G scale because they have more contact surface and fit usat cars and others more easily.

Next you need to consider if you are using body mounts or truck mounts. If you can use body mounts, you will have much better operation.

Once you have made those two decisions, it will be simple to decide which to use.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the answers...I found more info about this at George S' fabulous site, ordered some Kadee (it also helps to spell it right) 1831's to try. Maybe these won't close the gap, then I'll have to get into some real work as you've described getting into body mounts. Thanks all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts