G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Modulator
22,358 Posts
Body mounts on your cars will be fine with 10-9 foot diameter curves. The 830's are preferred because of their prototypical slack action. I can use them on 50 foot cars and also on passenger cars body mounted.

The Kadee site has two additional menus you need to look at, a conversion list, and a list of conversions... forget exactly the names they use. One is a list of what coupler to use on what car. The other has more detailed information for specific conversions.

On the SD70, you might have to do some tweaks, you bought a very long loco to want to squeeze it on a tight curve!

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,358 Posts
With truck mounts, my rule of thumb is you may be able to back a train half as long as you can run forwards, or less.

With body mounts, the length of train you can back goes up to almost as long as you can run forwards.

I think once you have gone to body mounts there's no coming back!

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,358 Posts
Nope, follow what they tell you. If you look at the pictures of each one, you will see varying sizes of draft gear and coupler offsets.

830 are almost exclusively used on cars, not locos. Follow the conversion sheet on the Kadee site, and decide based on your curves.

You need to get more experience before you start experimenting, unless you don't mind buying 4 different couplers and trying them out (another option).

Regards, Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.