G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading up on couplers I want to go with kadees. It would be nice to go with the bodymount set up but Im not sure it will work with my loco (sd70mac USA) I will likely need to put a few 9ft dia. curves in my layout. If going to 10 ft would make the difference then it might be possible. So assuming that I need the truck mount type on my cars what kadee couplers number do i need? I would like to keed the modification to a minimum. Not that I cant mod but if they make one that is bolt on that would be great. Thanks, Larry

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Larry, the most common truck mounted Kadee is the #831. Go to the KaDee website for additional info on converting to KaDee couplers.

·
Super Modulator
20,511 Posts
Body mounts on your cars will be fine with 10-9 foot diameter curves. The 830's are preferred because of their prototypical slack action. I can use them on 50 foot cars and also on passenger cars body mounted.

The Kadee site has two additional menus you need to look at, a conversion list, and a list of conversions... forget exactly the names they use. One is a list of what coupler to use on what car. The other has more detailed information for specific conversions.

On the SD70, you might have to do some tweaks, you bought a very long loco to want to squeeze it on a tight curve!

Regards, Greg

G

·
0 Posts
Posted By lc17smp on 11/22/2008 11:59 PM
After reading up on couplers I want to go with kadees. It would be nice to go with the bodymount set up but Im not sure it will work with my loco (sd70mac USA) I will likely need to put a few 9ft dia. curves in my layout. If going to 10 ft would make the difference then it might be possible. So assuming that I need the truck mount type on my cars what kadee couplers number do i need? I would like to keed the modification to a minimum. Not that I cant mod but if they make one that is bolt on that would be great. Thanks, Larry

If you do a search in this forum, you will find a few threads about this loco and kadees, very simple to install and 10ft would be the minimum dia for this loco with kadees, if you can go larger dia track..

Nick

·
Master of Disaster
867 Posts
I use 789 body mounted..I have 8' curves and have no problem..here is the link to Kay-Dee

http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page250.htm

I back my train up a pretty sever incline and tried to back up 20 cars..no go, as going through 2 switches to do so the truck mounted pushed each other sideways...so I switched to 789s'..no I have no problem with the cars fighting each other now.

Most cars you have to do a little modifying, but after you do a couple of cars changing ANY car is not a problem.

Just go get a pouporri of Evergreen plastic and black paint..repetition will do the rest!

MHO

Bubba

·
Super Modulator
20,511 Posts
With truck mounts, my rule of thumb is you may be able to back a train half as long as you can run forwards, or less.

With body mounts, the length of train you can back goes up to almost as long as you can run forwards.

I think once you have gone to body mounts there's no coming back!

Regards, Greg

G

·
0 Posts
Like Greg and Bubba said, try to stay with body mount couplers you will not be dissapointed...

Nick

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if Im going to go with the body mount which is the correct coupler for the loco? I looked at the kadee website and it looks like I have a couple options. #787 for the front with plow and rear #831 for tight tracks & #836 for 10'+. Is this correct or can I also use the #830 or #789 in the loco? Their website helps alot but it seems like you can really use any number of them depending on what your trying to do.

·
Super Modulator
20,511 Posts
Nope, follow what they tell you. If you look at the pictures of each one, you will see varying sizes of draft gear and coupler offsets.

830 are almost exclusively used on cars, not locos. Follow the conversion sheet on the Kadee site, and decide based on your curves.

You need to get more experience before you start experimenting, unless you don't mind buying 4 different couplers and trying them out (another option).

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am having a bit of trouble installing the 836. The screws provided are not matching the pedestal. They also recommend that I "Tap original hole for 4-40 screw". I am honestly not sure what they mean. I hope I can still use the plow with this coupler once I figure it out.

-Will

1 - 11 of 11 Posts