G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the articles in the archieves on the pros and cons of Band Saws vs. Table Saws. I have Googled the heck out of Band Saws and Resawing. I am going to purchase a Band Saw. The primary train use will be to resaw cedar/redwood to make miniature lumber for building Trestles, Bridges, and Buildings. I am specifically looking at a Grizzly 14” Band Saw.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-2-HP-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0457

All comments and suggestions are solicited.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andrew are you talking about the saw or the operator?? IMWTK!

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
This isn't much help but or what it's worth: I have a Delta 12 inch bandsaw, and even though it's on the low end it's probably the single most useful tool I own. I use it all the time--I've made guitars with it, I've used it to cut firewood down to 6 inches for our small woodstove, I've used it to make boxes for presents, it'll cut brass track; I've cut miters and tenons with it. It can do a lot of things a table saw does without kickback or a big honkin' kerf. Even though it's an entry level shop tool it's held up very well

What I wish mine had:

14 inch resaw capability
slightly deeper throat
a good fence--I have to use a level and some clamps
ball bearing blade guides

That saw has every feature I'd want--it looks great.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input Lownote.

I have a table saw and a lot of other equipment but sold my Craftsman 12" bandsaw several years ago becuse it was a pain in the butt to get it set up correctly and then it would drift out very quickly.

It looks like with a bandsaw there is no substitute for quality.

That doesn't mean that some of the more inexpensive saws do not have quality but some of them are definitely cheap and won't perform.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Barry,

About a year ago I bought a General International 14” band saw from our local Woodcraft Store http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5944 . I looked at Grizzly, Jet, Delta, Powermatic and probably some others. GI was a bit more expensive than some but I rated it almost as good as the Powermatic. It had the features I wanted including roller blade guides, rip fence and miter gauge, two speed (slower for cutting plastic), lever blade tension release, six spoke blade wheels, a 1 HP motor, and a large table. It came fully assembled in two boxes, a base and the saw. Box to operation was about 30 minutes with minimum adjustment to the wheels for blade alignment. I’ve been very hap with it and wish I had bought a band saw earlier.

Hope this helps.
Mike

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mike, The General is one of the saws i am considering. It has a lot of quality features including the resawing fence which is a major consideration for me.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I read somewhere that there is a speed differance between a Bandsaw used for wood and a bandsaw used for metal.

Do you guy recomend that one has two bandsaws, one for each purpose?

Wood badsaws are a dime a dozen

What brand do you suggest for metal?

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a couple of metal bandsaws that I use in my machine shop. What are you planing to use it for is the big question and then I can make some recommendations. I know that I personally would have one for each wood and one for metal working. Do you want a verticle blade saw or a horizontal blade saw?

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I own a Delta. It's going on 15 years old and has served me very well. All of my shop tools are Delta, DeWalt or Makita. I've had and heard horror stories associated with Grizzly. You get what you pay for..

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Posted By Dave F on 05/04/2008 1:40 PM
I've had and heard horror stories associated with Grizzly. You get what you pay for..

Dave thanks for the input. I have had several Grizzly tools and have been happy with all of them. Yes, you do get what you pay for and the Stinkin Grizzly is expensive. Nice web site I signed the guest book.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Barry, admittedly the experience I had with my grizzly products was 20 years ago and was on a low end table saw. The warp in the table was visible from 20 feet away. I would hope (just to stay in business) that they have improved their quality over the years. If you've had good experiences with them, I may need to give them a second look.

Thanks for dropping in on my site. I always appreciate those who take a moment to say hi in the guest log. Check in often in the coming months. The "Big Spring Expansion" begins in a week or so, I'll be doccumenting the process and posting updates regularly.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave, I marked your web site and I will be checking in on a regular basis. Grizzly sure is different today than 20 yrs. ago. Just like most brands you need to stay away from their entry level series. I was at the Grizzly store in Springfield, MO last October. Wow, I could have dropped a couple hundred K in there in about 20 min. But alas, I didn't have 200K or the floor space to set it up :) They have some really nice equipment now.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight 12in. variable speed bandsaw. It has wood and soft metal blades available for about $9. The saw sells for $124.99.
The quality is not great, sometimes the blade comes off the rollers, but it does the job for me.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I have a 14" Delta which works fine. It is built for cutting wood but I changed the driven pully to a 12" in order to slow down the blade speed for cutting brass. It takes a 62 1/2 inch blade and I am able to get metal cutting blades at Home Depot. A variable speed or easily changable pulley set would be a nice thing to have if you want to cut wood and metals, especially a very low speed for cutting steel.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Two recommendations:

1) Buy Quality

2) Stay away from Craftsman

I'm thoroughly disappointed with the one I owned. It sits dormant in my garage. It has much problems with the motor wheel and it slips. It bogs down easily and the table top is not designed to accept a fence of any kind without major modifications.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I bought the Powermatic 14" and love it. It comes with roller bearing blade guides. Purchase better blades, they are worth it in the long run. I cut all of my stripwood on it.

Glen

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glen, the Powermatic is suppose to be a great saw. I know they are really proud of it. Since I started this thread i have looked at a lot of other saws besides the Grizzly I started off with. Currently I am leaning towards the JET 18". I have myself convinced that the larger saw will give me more resawing capabilities than a 14 " saw. I have also looked at the General and the Delta. In resawing, like for making model lumber I can do a lot more with a larger saw.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts