G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been over three weeks since we have had an update! I know there hasn't been much new news in the world of 1:20.3 but no news?!! Here's a suggestion: hang a "Gone Fish'n" sign or "On Vacation Back in a Month" or something but this complete lack of anything is .........ominous! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif (Okay, admittedly, overdramatic but you get the picture.) ;)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Probably real busy since he got hired as a consultant somewhere in Pennsylvania?

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Durango Dan just posted today. He said he would report from the BTS.:D

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
While I find that site "somewhat" interesting, I just really have a problem with the anonymity aspect. I guess that gives the person the opportunity to bash or express themselves fully without fear for retribution, but at the same time there is no real credibility. From what little I have read, other than new product announcements, all the gossip is just a summary of links pointing to what is going on at some other site. I think we all know who and where the other sites are. Do we really need a tour guide? Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By Del Tapparo on 06/05/2008 5:40 PM
I think we all know who and where the other sites are. Do we really need a tour guide? Your thoughts?

Easy one stop reading for those of us with lives outside model trains that don't have time to sit on 15 forums......think of it as CNN or USA Today?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I guess the funniest part was everyone in Philly including The Bach-Stan was convinced it was me.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Del

I enjoy reading Durango Dan ... the anonymity does not bother me as long as he does not call for action on anything. His columns from my perspective have been fair and balanced.

Do we need a tour guide ... for me, yes for two reasons. first, I don't visit other sites to keep abreast and second I dont have that deep a fascination with the politics of it all ... just a summary is more than enough for me.

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By Dougald on 06/06/2008 5:10 AM
Del
I enjoy reading Durango Dan ... His columns from my perspective have been fair and balanced.
Doug

Maybe the Fox News of F scale would be better than my earlier comment?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Posted By Del Tapparo on 06/05/2008 5:40 PM
...From what little I have read, other than new product announcements, all the gossip is just a summary of links pointing to what is going on at some other site. I think we all know who and where the other sites are. Do we really need a tour guide? Your thoughts?

I like this site...for a variety of reasons.

a. While I know where the other (manufacturer) sites are...I don't search them routinely for new products. 1/20.me leads me to the new stuff. That's good.

b. Besides GR magazine, this is the only place I've found where manufacturers routinely make new product announcements. That's good.

c. It's all about my scale...Fn3...so that makes the above more valuable. That's real good.

d. I like that it is modern...and has an RSS feed...so that whenever there's a post there, it generates an email to me...so I don't have to remind myself to go to it and read the new stuff. More good.

e. I like the one person's opinion part...with the ability to add comments. So far, it seems to me that the opinions expressed are well expressed and well documented. This isn't a slam it down your throat kinda blog with a high percentage of unsubstantiated statements. Opinions yes...but few slams. Yep, good again.

f. It seems to me that manufacturer bashing on the big forums (LSC and MLS) has diminshed in the last year through efforts by the site owners to keep things polite. I'm not saying censorship, as few threads are actually editted IMHO...but, 120.me does provide a mechanism to get the good ... and the bad ... information out there to us, the buying public. And since it's one way, published to us, it doesn't provide a mechanism for impolite and insulting posts.

Think of 120.me as just a digital newspaper...you may not agree all the time with everything posted but at least you're getting reasonably balanced information.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Just like your favorite newspaper columnist, Durango Dan is someone folks love, hate, or try to put their own spin on. Unlike a "forum" which necessitates a moderated exchange of ideas, his site is designed to be a "one man band" (or in his case, a "one team band") publication. He says what he likes, and folks read it .... and many find the information relevant and germane to their model railroad interests. Personally, I have enjoyed reading his updates, news, announcements, and "first look" pieces, and have learned that there's a great deal more to 1:20.3 than I would ever have imagined. The contest was pretty awesome too, though I didn't win anything ... gotta work on that. His team apparently also has some pretty good connections, as they can often come up with the news before it's news, new product photos no one's seen yet, and in my case even an obscure part or two that no one else seems to be able to come up with.... all of which lend CREDIBILITY to his position and his work... and that's something not every source of large scale information has these days.

The front page (well, ok, only page) of the site makes it pretty clear ... it's news, rumor, gossip, and photos of things that might interest people with a 1:20.3 modelling bent, and particularly those found in Colorado ... if those things interest you, read on, if they don't, then don't. And, nobody has to agree with him, either, though personally I find he's generally right about on target. There are no sponsors to keep happy, and since it's not a discussion forum, no fights to stop or fires to put out. The anonymity factor gives him an air of mystery that does add some ambience (kind of like the "Narrow Gauge Underground Press") and also serves to fend off some folks who would prefer to play lawyers than model trains .... but you see that happening a lot in the world of "Web Logs" ... and it might someday actually preserve "News" as we once knew it (in my not so humble opinion.) Read, think, and agree, or disagree as you would. Discuss among yourselves. See things you might otherwise have missed.

Mostly, here's to Dan, on what's now more than a year of keeping the front edge of 1:20.3 in the front of the large scale community's mind. Whatever he's drinking, his next one's on me.

Matthew (OV)

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know the part I like best? It's the fact that Durango Dan has royaly p*ssed off certain folks at Bachmann because he passes on information before they give it to us! Accucraft, Hartford, Phil's Narrow Gauge etc... have all utilized DD's blog but Bachmann seems to see this blog as a threat to them. In fact, certain officials of Bachmann have "overreacted" at LS train shows and actually acosted certain people demanding to know if they were Durango Dan!! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif;) I have my own issues with Bachmann but that is neither here nor there. DD posts information that is of interest to me and his credibility is quite high. Bachmann's discomforture only reinforces that opinion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts