G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am repainting 4 bachman Big Hauler cars to go behind my Accucraft NCNG #2 Mogul and I would like to letter them for the NCNG.  Where is the best place to get custom lettering?
Brian

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Does anyone make custom dry transfers?

In my experience, dry transfers are more weather resistant than decals.  Although decals are easier to apply.  Vinyl is best for larger lettering.

More "weather resistant" in this sense also includes hose cleanings /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

·
Registered
183 Posts
Posted By San Juan on 02/24/2008 1:02 PM

In my experience, dry transfers are more weather resistant than decals.  Although decals are easier to apply.  Vinyl is best for larger lettering.

More "weather resistant" in this sense also includes hose cleanings /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif
A simple Google search shows several suppliers of custom dry transfers, but all that I looked at were expensive compared with the knwon sppliers of decals and vinyl lettering. You can find suppliers of alphabetical dry transfers, where you apply the lettering one letter at a time (not for the faint fo heart). There's also a company that sells do-it-yourself dry lettering kits, but again, the cost is high.

Mark

·
Vendor
3,317 Posts
Posted By San Juan on 02/24/2008 1:02 PM

Just a note of experience....  I've had decals on buildings, rolling stock and locomotives for more than five years without "fading"...   I've washed them with hoses, they've been in the wind, rain, snow, sleet, desert sun and by the light of the moon.  The "secret" is to coat them with the Krylon Acrylic Clear coatings after application and drying completely.  Coating can be Clear, Satin and/or Matte.  ;)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
There are one or two print shops in the US that still do custom dry transfers, but are very cost prohibitive--around $80/sheet for a single color. Unless you're planning lettering for a whole fleet of rolling stock, it's really not worth the money when compared to decals.

Stan, are you doing anything special with the decals (besides overspraying them) to get them to stay put on your outdoor buildings? Mine were oversprayed, and still flaked right off after just a few months out in the elements.

Later,

K

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
You can also do your own dry transfers with "Decal Pro"   Vance did a review in Garden Railways a couple of years ago.  If you're a subscriber, you can still access it online.

I've used Stan's decals:

I've also used Del's vinyl lettering on a recent project.    Notice that the letters are not very big. I'd use larger ones for a passenger car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts