G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing a bit of industrial archeology research for an eventually planned steel mill for my railroad, I happened to stumble across this on YouTube...

Also take note of the loco's wheels & the rails - the flanges are on the rails, rather than the wheels.

Tom

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
You're welcome, Steve. Rosen is a good storyteller. Who among us interested in steam engines would not be intrigued by a book in which chapter 2 is described:

concerning the many uses of a piston; how the world's first scientific society was founded at a college with no students; and the inspirational value of armories, nonconformist preachers, incomplete patterns, and snifting valves.

or chapter 3:

concerning a trial over the ownership of a deck of playing cards; a utopian fantasy island in the South Seas; one Statute and two Treatises; and the manner in which ideas are transformed from something one discovers to something one owns.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
In this photograph you can see that the flangeless wheels ride outside an L-shaped rail.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
There's a lot of "eye candy" in those early locomotives. Just as fascinating to many today...:

"Steamboy"

"Steampunk"

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Here's a replica of Trevithick's third locomotive "Catch Me Who Can." Built in 1808 it's considered the world's first fare paying passenger locomotive:

Trevithick's "Steam Circus" - a contemporary illustration. This took place in Bloomsbury, just south of the present-day Euston Square tube station in London. The locomotive clipped along at a mind-blowing 12 mph. Eventually Trevithick shut the circus down because the heavy locomotive broke the brittle cast iron rails:

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
You just have to love the shots of 19th century steam locos being operated by guys in 21st century Elfan Safety Hi-Vis clothing!

Because we all know you won't get hurt if a train hits you when you're wearing an orange vest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts