G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know what happens when I use the "message attachment" feature to upload a picture or other document directly from my hard drive to MLS.  Logically, it should get stored in my webspace on MLS, but does it?

If somebody also knows the answer and would like to share it, I'll say "thanks in advance."  Otherwise...below  is a new test attachment to help me figure this out.

Dawg ;)

P.S.  Please ignore the fact that the attachment deals with...shudder...N-scale /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif.

SECOND TRY...ooops!  attachment too big.  gotta resize okay, fixed.  Serious compression required, though.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

TEST RESULT...No, not stored in my webspace.  Okay then, where?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Dawg

Point to the image in your post and right-click it, when the context menu displays select and click the Properties item, when the Properties Page displays

in the Address (URL) you'll find the actual storage location and file name assigned to your image. Note the text displayed is selectable so you can use Copy & Paste, but always start your selection at the http:// then drag down and to the right because there can be more text than can be displayed in the two lines made available.

Edit Update (07/JAN/2008): Oh yes, most of the time in many forums other than MLS the reply attachments have a finite life span to ultimately save space on the server, but I'm sure that is a configurable parameter and Shad hasn't mentioned how he has decided to handle it, just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Duuuhh.  I should have known that.  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif Geez....

Thank you for the refresher, Steve! :)

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
No problem, glad I could be of help, makes me feel useful. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
RE: Where do the "attachments" get stored?

Attachments are stored in the file system on MLS. Right now there is no set plan to purge old photos, but that is always subject to change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts