G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Greg: I don't see what is wrong with resurecting old threads as long as the subject is still unanswered or not satisfactorily adressed. And we 1/32 scale modelers certainly have this issue to deal with. It is even interesting for 1/29th scale modelers who don't have much choice neither in well detailed and well proportionened models, practically no live steam, few parts. Its not a question of defending one scale or another, its a question of making the staples that make model railroading viable in a given scale wether it be 1/32 or 1/29. When I look through older Garden railways magasine I find adds for trucks and other staples, but the firms that offered these many years ago disapeared. What made the success of HO scale years ago, was the immense availability of parts, kits, finnished models of all price range from plastic snap together to imported brass. We need that kind of availability now in our scales. One of the key to the success of 1/20 or 1/22 scale modeling is that there are a lot more parts available, this is also true for large scale 5" and 71/4" gauge models;
Best, Simon

·
Super Modulator
21,817 Posts
Perhaps you did not read my post carefully:

1. I suggested you check the activity of the person you are replying to, to see if he is still active.
2. I did that research for you and posted the results
3. I complimented you on adding to the thread, the final statement was positive to you.

Perhaps you did not read carefully... I have repeated the post below.

One thing that is helpful when resurrecting an old thread AND asking a question of a poster is to click on his name and see when he last posted. You can then pretty well tell if he is active or not.

Paul last posted May 22 2017 in this thread. So no posts for about 4-1/2 years. So expectations are low that he will respond, but there's always hope.

I googled him and came up with nothing. (he is not Paul Wood, different person)

But you did find more info, so the request bore fruit!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I write in a thread because I find the subject interesting Greg. Frankly I don't care who started the thread (or if its an old thread), although if it creates interaction with others interested in that subject that's fine with me.
I find this subject vital to the futur of the hobby. In all the other scales parts are available. 1/32 scale (and 1/29 also) are the only scales where spare parts, detail parts and staples for scratchbuilders are not available. And after modeling in gauge one since over 40 years, I find this a very important subject. it is essential for instance to encourage young people tocome into the hobby, as if they can't afford the high end models, at least they can try to build some, but without those staples it is very difficult. I remember my experiments as a teen ager making cardboard interurbans and gas electrics on Athearn rubber band chassis that cost $3.95 and I got a lot of good kicks out of it. Now I am enjoying gauge one live steam and high end models I never could dream about then. How can a teen ager get interested in our hobby now? Thats why they all go to computers, I guess. Parts and staples are available galore in HO , N gauge,O scale and even in TT and S scale, they are also available in the larrger 5" and 71/4 " gauges why can't we have any in our scales? Aren't american modelers tired of running Stainz on their layouts? its a very nice Austrian prototype but there weren't any used in the US except since museums started. Us prototypes are fascinating lets see some representation of it.

Of course I read your thread but it is entirely outside of the threads subject. besides I am helpless with computers and the research that you suggest is way beyond my limited computer skills. I had to stop being on this forum for nearly a year because of health reasons, so why can the guy who started this thread interupt his posting for a while. Or worse maybe he was discouraged by the fact that no one answered him. Better late than never. Is it "verbotten" to post on an old thread?

·
Super Modulator
21,817 Posts
You do realize you started the thread with "Hi Paul"?

My suggestion was that you might check to see if Paul was still active when resurrecting an old thread AND saying HI to the poster.

In this country, saying Hi to someone means you expect a response, which is what I reacted to.

You may have read my post (not thread), but I don't think you get it. I cannot make this any clearer in English.

Anyway, I would up complimenting you at the end of the post and you are still pissed off... so you cannot take ANY criticism? I guess not.

It's a forum, you put things out publicly and people respond. If you are a newbie that's one thing, but you are experienced and not a 15 year old.

You focus on what you want to argue about, not what I have continually said is the point. I guarantee you that every time you say HELLO to a person on a 5 year old thread, I will say that is dumb. It is.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Oh now I get it Greg. I didn't understand why you criticized my post. Now I understand I didn't look up Paul so indeed it was stupid of me to say hello to Paul. (I thought it was another Paul anyways who models SP very nicely in 1/29th scale). I appologise tho , I didn't mean any harsh feelings about your intervention. I just couldn't understand why or what it was about.
Cheers, Simon

·
Super Modulator
21,817 Posts
That was the only point, and again, the addition to the thread by you is positive. Recently other threads have been revived only to be "trashed" with unhelpful comments, off topic, often not even train related, and sort of ruin them as "reference materials", so I guess I have been on a "crusade" lately.

Greg

21 - 26 of 26 Posts