G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Your 0-4-0 is good for 2, maybe 3 cars. It will haul many more than that, but overheat the motor.

If your wheels look pitted, they're not, it's a deposit. I find it easiest to remove with a dremel and one of those spongy polishing wheels.

The motor is easy to replace and you can get it for less than $15 at places like wholesaletrains.com. If you're handy with a soldering iron and screwdriver, about 20 minutes work.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
They seem to hold up fine. Mine have sometimes looked copperish, like some plating has worn through, but then sometimes don't. I thought once they were getting badly pitted, but on looking closer, the "pitting" chipped off with an xacto blade revealing nice smooth wheel underneath. I used to use one of those track cleaning erasers to clean them, till I realized it's pretty easy to move the rear wheels a tooth forward or back, so I went to a lower force approach with the dremel. As far as wear goes, my Bachmann loco seemed to show more wheel wear running on stainless track than the 0-4-0's did.

Some time ago they changed the material and it didn't work very well, the newer ones are much better. It's been several years now since the second change. My '96 loco had the old-old wheels that worked nicely. Now it has the newest wheels. Hmm. It's as old as my car.

For $25, Aristo will make sure it has new wheels, motor, gears, steam generator or whatever is broken or missing and send it back to you nice and fresh.

These 0-4-0's tend to be gauged way too narrow and climb over switches rather clumbsily. It takes a bunch of force to adjust them, but they will adjust. See the thread on "back to back measurement."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts