G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
RE: What's your "take" on the new Aristo system?

I am looking forward to potentially using this new system. I've tried the old 27MHz TE and while it worked, it's range was very poor. Next I tried the Bridgewerks URC-15 and RC-100s and again ran into range issues and defective units. I then tried the Airwire system and had my best sucess todate although it's is still not totally reliable (press a button and sometimes nothing happens). My latest foray was to try the Airwire with the QSI card (and my first attempt at DCC). DCC is great and very capable, but for some reason the QSI cards seem to loose their memory and your have to reset the card.

All I want is a system that is 1st and foremost RELIABLE, is simple and doesn't take a programming track and special software to work, has great range, can handle both track and battery power and is reasonbly priced. Maybe I'm asking too much, but I've never had anywhere near this type of difficulty in the RC world (cars and planes). If the new Aristo system is based on the car/aircraft RC world, I want to learn more, hear what others have to say and potentially try it.

·
Super Modulator
21,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

You are actually sort of asking too much.

ANY wireless system is less reliable than a wired system, including cell phones, cordless phones and computers.

Added features cost money.

Yes, you have not had anywhere this kind of problem with airplanes and rc cars. Of course your RC car antenna is inside the shell right? Oh, it's a long whip? Hmm... The range is great on an airplane way up in the air with no other objects around, nothing to reflect on or obstruct?

So we try wireless with ribbons of metal, electric motors, internal power supplies, and more... it does make it a different and more difficult animal.

The new Aristo system is not based on the proportional transmitters from the RC world, it's got a wireless networking protocol called Zigbee as the transport.

Also, for comparison, probably do not have a sound system, amplifier and speaker in your RC car or plane.

Not trying to give you a hard time, helping you make your comparision and expectations reasonable. R/C trains are tough.

If you want something simple and don't need all the bells and whistles of DCC, get the RCS system, simple, inexpensive, and the entire inspiration for the orginal Aristo TE systems.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

The stuff I use is reliable.
Has been for the 16 years I have been using it.
Or, I wouldn't be using it.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
At those prices, a receiver and one of the new Phoenix sound systems would cost the same as an AirWire and P-5. I have gotten used to having the ability to add function decoders to the engine to provide features like firebox flicker, ditch lights, strobe lights and MARS lights. How would you do that with the new Aristo system?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts

Hi All,

Pricing for the new Aristocraft RC / DCC battery thing "Revolution" has been tentatively announced. Sounds like it could be promising? Since I may be one of the few here that hasn't been banned from that forum I figure I'll paste what I copied from Lewis polks post at the Aristo forum.

Dear All,

OK here are the prices. The set will sell over the counter for $210 with one tx and one rx + a plug for non-Aristo locos and the smoke system. Exta rx's are individually $81 or in a 6 pack $61 each.

Remember you don't need track power boosters, a base station or an add on cab control. However, it depends on the dollar somewhat and if there are major changes in the dollar strength the prices will reflect those changes.

All the best,
Lewis Polk

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Just got my advertiser's copy of the Feb 2009 Garden Railways. Aristo-Craft has the back cover. I've got to admit, it looks pretty nice (from a photo of the Tx anyway). What amazes me, is you go to the home page of their website, and apparently it isn't even worthy of being in the "news". They say in the ad "goto LSOL.com/aristocraft to see the video". Going there, you get a greeting inviting you to join LYSOL. Great way to distribute info Lewis! If you want me to buy this thing, show me the operator's manual and a real spec sheet first.

·
Super Modulator
21,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

Ray, if you are not adding sound now, I would skip the Aristo unit, since it just has trigger inputs, i.e. switches to ground. In a couple of years, I predict that this type of sound board will be pretty much extinct, while the mainstream will be using DCC units. AirWire has the right idea on how to interface to a large number of available and inexpensive sound units.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
If one would only look
 into the high-tech world, one would get plenty of examples were proprietary solutions were rejected by many.
  The purpose of standards is to have more - not less. 
The historical success of the IBM PC was its open architecture - hence many add-on companies build accessories. 

In the modeling world DCC became that standard and it benefits all of us.
  We can choose low-end manufacturers  and high-end manufacturers, there are many options.  A common bus architecture is excellent and enables us to do many things.

I agree the new Aristocraft Train Engineer is truly a revolution - in more than one way
:
-  Compared to the 1960s technology of the old Train Engineer it is
-  It is also a revolution against a high sophisticated standard for electronic train control (DCC)

However, many revolutions - so history teaches us - backfire.  The consumers have the freedom to vote with their pocket book
and if the Revolution means the abandonment of the old train engineer I am more than certain that the Revolver is shooting into the foot.(pun intended)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Airwire T9000 throttle, QSI, and G-wire,or the oem airwire receiver if you have the buck's is the way to go! Forget the rest. Simplicity, cost factor, reliability, theoretically can run 9999 trains from one throttle, 3-4's plenty for me. View and hear it running at http://blueregal.angelfire.com/ click on the you tube or vimmeo links, and watch and hear! See and hear a sound comparison between QSI sound and Phoenix there also. Follow me into the "Promised Land" Hee hee LOL the Regal that's my opinion and I'm stickin to it.
Airewire throttle around $199+ first time investment then $223 each engine thereafter.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Ray if you want simplicity it's hard to beat QSI with either Airwire or DCC. Plug and play, full, sophisticated control of the sounds, no need for chuff sensors or complicated wiring. I started with the 75mhz. TE and bought one Phoenix card. It's a great soundcard but I had to wire power to the card, then attach magnets to the axle and the reed switch to pick up the magnets and trigger the chuff, and then an extra accessory board if I wanted to trigger the sounds on the fly. When Lewis first announced the new TE, I simply could not believe it did not have integrated sound. I mean, I'm sure it's revolutionary and has some great features, and I look forward to trying it. But not having sound is like a Prius without a radio. It's just odd--QSI's approach is SO much better, and cheaper. If you want sound with the new TE, you'll have to drop a bunch more money.

I use QSI/Airwire with track power--not DCC over the track, just straight DC on the rails. The Airiwre throttle sends DCC commands to the Gwire receiver, which sends them to the QSI decoder. The QSI/Airwire is an excellent system--fun and reliable. Today I ran a RS-3 and noticed how the sound of the engine changed under load; I set the maximum voltage so kids can't run it at 200 mph and I played around with the acceleration and deceleration rate. I set the regular volume and the mute volume, so I could run it loud or soft. I turned up the sound of the air brakes while leaving the other engine sounds the same. It's a blast. And even with the GWire card it's still cheaper than buying the new TE and a sound card

As RJ said in the long run, if you are going to have a lot of locos, DCC is cheaper, because you don't have to buy the Gwire card each time. If a full DCC system is let's say $600 bucks, that's the same as adding the Gwire to about seven engines. I'm thinking about going to DCC, but I'm also thinking don't have room for or really a need for any more locos.

The advantage of DCC being a standard, and not proprietary, is pretty clear for me. If I were to go to straight DCC, I could keep all the QSI decoders and sell the Gwire cards. I could keep the Airiwre trottle and add Airwire's DCC components. Or I can maybe find a way to use the Airwire throttle with another company's DCC. I won't be stuck with a proprietary system

·
Super Modulator
21,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

By the way Mike, try increasing the momentum settings, that will make the "sound under load" even more pronounced. I usually use cv4 about 1/2 of cv3 so stopping is easier to "predict". Try cv3 up around 40 for grins.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
21,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·

I have some info that will make it even better. There is a new firmware release in the works, that will really make an improvement on the machine gun effect.

The basic problem is, so far, all sound systems use only one "chuff" recording, so to make it sound right at low speeds, it's a nice long (in time) sound.

At higher speeds, the length of the sound byte should be shorter, but all systems I know of just put out the same sound at a higher repetition rate.

QSI will be changing this to effectively shorten the chuff "length" at higher speeds, so low speed will still sound great, but higher speeds will be shorter, thus more "distinction" between chuffs.

I'll inquire as to when this is coming out. Of course it will be just a firmware update you can do yourself, no hardware changes required.

Regards, Greg

41 - 60 of 108 Posts