G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I humbily walk in with my tail between my legs to say HI. I will be firing up my Arsito LS Mike tomorrow night.
Its charging now..

How many times should we burn our fingures before we become good?

I guess I will eat all my diesel jokes now , ha????

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Marty, it's pretty exciting the first time! Just follow those steps I gave you and you should be fine. Doing it on blocks in the shop? Main thing is to keep the fuel tank bath warm. Have a syringe for that, makes it easier. That metal funnel is a pain in the ___. GOes a little faster if you microwave the DISTILLED WATER first, then pour in about 450 ml.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
The main thing to remember is that when you do make a mistake...........................it's no big deal. I have been live steaming now for about 10 years and I still do a lot of "Not so smart" things.
Just the other day while steaming my Aster Mike I began to wonder why I was loosing pressure. I then realized that I had started running without filling the tender with water so nothing was being pumped to the boiler. I was in too big a hurry to get the engine running and missed that "important" detail. Take your time and have fun.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jason
No I was told you could use natural gas, so i loaded up on the baked beans, and farted in cans and pressuized it . its FREE!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Posted By Jerry Barnes on 10/26/2008 9:39 PM
Yeh, but did you use the right kind of beans? Cook them the correct time and temp?

Boston style Baked Beans (From the Old Fannie Farmer cookbook) with lots of Molasses and a couple of Ham Hocks all done in a slow cooker overnight. I did that recipe for years for Scout camp, everyone sleeping outside in tents NO FLAMES ALLOWED IN TENT, never had anyone turn down seconds.
Regards,
Gerald

·
Junior Senior Member
579 Posts
If you ever learn everything there is to know about LS, you will probably be the first. Personally I like having to constantly learn new things, so this seems to be the place for me.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 10/26/2008 7:42 PM
Jason
No I was told you could use natural gas, so i loaded up on the baked beans, and farted in cans and pressuized it . its FREE!!!!

One thing is for sure you guy's are sure full of beans anyway!!LOL The Regal http://blueregal.angelfire.com

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
Congrats Marty. No dismal jokes, I promise.

I can recommend two things based upon my own experience...

1 - make sure all steam pressure is gone from the boiler and it's cooled down BEFORE you remove the filler plug. I didn't do that once (being in a hurry to refill and run again), and the filler plug blew skyward about 25 feet, accompanied by a blast of very hot water. Fortunately I wasn't hit nor burned.

2 - be careful with open flame around butane. I filled #21's gas tank, which sits inside an outer tank. As butane is heavier than air, the outer tank also filled with vapor. When I lit the fire through the smokebox door (in the rear on #21), I had the flame set too high and it caught the vapor in the outer tank which went up with a WOOSH!! I got minor singing of the eyebrows out of that one, and though it wasn't all that visible (it didn't completely remove my eyebrows or anything), my nostrils were filled with the smell of burnt hair for the next hour or two.

Just exercise a little care and you'll have a ball!

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 10/26/2008 6:40 PM
I humbily walk in with my tail between my legs to say HI. I will be firing up my Arsito LS Mike tomorrow night.
Its charging now..

How many times should we burn our fingures before we become good?

I guess I will eat all my diesel jokes now , ha????

Welcome aboard. You don't have to burn your fingers at all, although it probably going to happen. You are going to like this steam stuff a lot. I suspect your brightly polished brass rail will tarnish and cover with oily dirt soon.

Have fun, I know you will, Bob

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Marty
Pick a number

One of the best ways to become acquainted with a live steam engine is to put it on rollers and go through the steps of water, oil, fire along with learning the controls.
Probably the most frustrating aspect is the "gas flow" problem. Make sure to bleed off the liquid gas, once you cannot see the gas then you will get a good light. In fact, the best thing to do is to clean the gas tank to get rid of any solder crap by washing it out with acetone then drying it (if you are patient enough).Where you are located will need to utilize warm water bath and the Aristocraft system is very poor in keeping the gas flow once it chills.
You will get alot of condensation out the stack at first, so fire clear the cylinders (condensation) then refuel and relight the burners. There are quite a few improvements that can be done: reduction of steam oil flow, steam heat instead of water bath, insulation of front, quick disconnect water bottle combined with goodall valve for continued boiler filling during run, and finally a good whistle!

Enjoy

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a beginner I took and tried to adhear to many folks advice.
I bought a couple of 2.1 oz cans locally just to fire it up.
As I was preping the loco I tried to remember everything.
But I made notes.
I could not remember anyone saying how much the tender water holds. 1/4 learned the hard way.
I forgot to turn down the burner because I kept hitting Emercy stop button on the control which is habit.
I thought the thing was burning up when smoke came from everywhere.
I killed the gas.

Once I started to reheat I ran out of gas cause I could not tell how much was going in.

Plus over night charging, nothing tells you how to turn off the LEDs when not in use. (I found switch it to charge)

I had to open the shop doors.
I ran both ways for couple of minutes then I turned off the burner and then ran it till the presure was 0.
enough for the first try.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!

It probably ran kind'a "lopey" with the wheels dangling at the extent of their suspension (such as it is) but at least it RAN.

He has seen the Light... as evidenced by the beams shining in the window in the haze.... what'er you burning in there... Old rubber tires? :)

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Your'e live steamer when the cops keep retaking your fingerprints and only get inkbloops!!!
get that firebox glowing Marty!!
Good move!!
Manfred Diel
SA# 1313

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
See I like seeing folks enjoy live steam but for me I did not like the idea of running after it all the time on my RR. My RR is not designed for that.
This covers all the bases, and it DOESN'T have a girly name.. Mike...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts